It’s safe to assume that car insurance companies don’t want you to look for a cheaper policy. Consumers who shop around at least once a year will presumably switch companies because of the high probability of finding discount prices. A study discovered that consumers who did price comparisons regularly saved about $72 a month compared to policyholders who never compared other company’s rates.
If finding the most affordable Pontiac Sunfire insurance in Raleigh is the reason you’re here, then having an understanding of how to find and compare insurance rates can save money and time.
The preferred way to get budget car insurance rates in Raleigh is to compare prices annually from different companies who provide car insurance in North Carolina. Price quotes can be compared by following these guidelines.
- Take a little time to learn about the different coverages in a policy and the measures you can control to prevent rate increases. Many things that drive up the price like your driving record and an unacceptable credit rating can be improved by being financially responsible and driving safely.
- Compare prices from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can provide rates from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agents can quote prices from multiple companies. Find a Raleigh insurance agent
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing coverage and determine if there is any savings. If you find a lower rate and make a switch, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Give notification to your agent or company of your intent to cancel your current coverage and submit payment and a completed application to the newly selected company. As soon as coverage is bound, keep your new proof of insurance certificate with the vehicle registration.
One thing to remember is to make sure you enter similar limits and deductibles on every quote request and and to get price quotes from as many companies as possible. This ensures a fair rate comparison and many rates to choose from.
Companies offering Pontiac Sunfire insurance in North Carolina
The companies shown below have been selected to offer price quotes in Raleigh, NC. If you want to find cheap auto insurance in Raleigh, NC, we suggest you compare several of them to get the most affordable price.
Auto insurance discounts are available to lower rates
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, but you might already qualify for some discounts that can help lower your rates. Certain reductions will be credited when you complete an application, but once in a while a discount must be specifically requested prior to receiving the credit.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured – Purchasing coverage when you have primary and secondary vehicles on one policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Military Deployment Discount – Being on active duty in the military could trigger a small discount.
- Safety Course Discount – Successfully completing a driver safety class could earn you a small percentage discount and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- ABS Brakes – Cars and trucks that have steering control and anti-lock brakes can reduce accidents and will save you 10% or more on Sunfire insurance in Raleigh.
- Home Ownership Discount – Just being a homeowner can help you save on auto insurance because owning a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Drivers Ed for Students – It’s a good idea to have your young drivers complete a driver education course in school or through a local driver safety program.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Safe drivers may receive a discount up to 45% than less cautious drivers.
Remember that most discount credits are not given to all coverage premiums. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. So even though they make it sound like you could get a free auto insurance policy, that’s just not realistic.
Large auto insurance companies and their possible discounts can be read below.
- GEICO may offer discounts for air bags, five-year accident-free, good student, federal employee, anti-lock brakes, and emergency military deployment.
- USAA offers discounts for multi-vehicle, defensive driver, family discount, annual mileage, multi-policy, new vehicle, and military installation.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for multi-policy, online signing, online quote discount, multi-vehicle, good student, homeowner, and continuous coverage.
- American Family discounts include air bags, mySafetyValet, multi-vehicle, good driver, and accident-free.
- Esurance has savings for DriveSense, defensive driver, good student, emergency road assistance, Switch & Save, Pac-12 alumni, and multi-policy.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts including early shopping, youthful driver, teen driver, mature driver, distant student, and good student.
- State Farm has discounts for anti-theft, multiple autos, passive restraint, accident-free, student away at school, and defensive driving training.
Check with each company how you can save money. A few discounts might not apply in Raleigh. To locate auto insurance companies that offer discounts in Raleigh, follow this link.
Five factors that impact insurance premiums
Many different elements are part of the equation when you get a price on insurance. Some are obvious like an MVR report, but others are not as apparent such as your marital status or how safe your car is.
- Do you know your comp and collision deductibles? – Comprehensive and collision coverage deductibles represent how much money you are willing to pay out-of-pocket before your car insurance pays a claim. Physical damage insurance, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, insures against damage to your car. A few examples of covered claims are collision with another vehicle, damage caused by hail, and damage caused by road hazards. The more expense you choose to pay out-of-pocket, the lower your rates will be.
- Vehicles with better crash test results cost less to insure – Cars with high safety ratings tend to be cheaper to insure. Safer cars help reduce the chance of injuries in an accident and fewer serious injuries means less claims paid and thus lower rates.
- Your address can push rates up or down – Choosing to live in a small town can save you money when shopping for auto insurance. Less people living in that area translates into fewer accident claims and lower theft and vandalism rates. Residents of big cities regularly have more aggressive driving styles and longer commutes to work. More time commuting means more chances of being involved in an auto accident.
- Lower rates come with age – Older people are viewed as being more responsible, cost insurance companies less in claims, and are safer drivers. Drivers with little experience are known to get distracted easily with other occupants in the car so car insurance rates are higher.
- Pleasure use saves money – Driving a lot of miles in a year the higher your rates will be. Many insurance companies charge to insure your cars based on their usage. Cars not used for work or commuting receive lower rates than vehicles that have high annual mileage. An incorrectly rated Sunfire may be costing you. It’s always a good idea to double check that your car insurance policy states annual mileage.
Should I talk to a local insurance agent?
Some consumers still prefer to get advice from a local agent and that can be a great decision Insurance agents can answer important questions and help you file claims. The best thing about price shopping on the web is you may find lower rates but also keep your business local.
After completing this short form, your coverage information is transmitted to local insurance agents in Raleigh who want to provide quotes for your business. There is no need to search for an agent since price quotes are sent to you instantly. In the event you want to compare rates from a specific insurance company, you can always visit that company’s website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Picking an provider requires more thought than just a low price. The following questions are important to ask.
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance in Raleigh?
- When do they do policy reviews?
- How are they compensated?
- Are aftermarket or OEM parts used to repair vehicles?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in North Carolina?
If you are wanting to find a reputable insurance agent or broker, there are a couple of different types of agents and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Agents can be classified as either independent agents or exclusive agents. Either can sell and service insurance coverage, but it’s worth learning the difference between them because it can impact the type of agent you choose.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents in the exclusive channel can only provide pricing for a single company and some examples include Allstate and State Farm. These agents are unable to give you multiple price quotes so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive agents receive a lot of sales training on the products they sell and that can be a competitive advantage. Consumers sometimes buy from the same agent for years mostly because of the brand rather than having the cheapest rates.
Below are exclusive insurance agents in Raleigh that are able to give rate quotes.
- Allstate Insurance: Bonnita Hargis
1620 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd #104 – Raleigh, NC 27610 – (919) 250-3606 – View Map
- Gina Tickle – State Farm Insurance Agent
8212 Creedmoor Rd #101 – Raleigh, NC 27613 – (919) 847-9774 – View Map
- Suzanne Wilson – State Farm Insurance Agent
8961 Harvest Oaks Dr #205 – Raleigh, NC 27615 – (919) 870-1413 – View Map
Independent Insurance Agencies
Agents of this type often have affiliation with several companies so they can insure your vehicles with lots of companies and find you the best rates. If you are not satisfied with one company, your policy is moved internally and you can keep the same agent. If you need cheaper insurance rates, you will want to get insurance quotes from several independent insurance agents for maximum quote selection. Most also have access to smaller mutual companies that may have much lower rates than larger companies.
The following are Raleigh independent insurance agents willing to provide rate quotes.
- Blackmon Insurance Agency of North Carolina, Inc.
4280 Louisburg Rd – Raleigh, NC 27604 – (919) 875-8500 – View Map
- Carolina Capital Insurance Group
1100 Logger Ct., Bldg. D-101 – Raleigh, NC 27609 – (919) 747-9002 – View Map
- Independent Insurance Agents of North Carolina Inc
101 Weston Oaks Ct – Cary, NC 27513 – (919) 828-4371 – View Map
After you get good answers as well as a affordable price, you may have found an insurance agent that is professional and can properly insure your vehicles.
Lower rates by being persistent
As you quote Raleigh auto insurance, it’s very important that you do not reduce coverage to reduce premium. There have been many cases where someone dropped physical damage coverage only to regret at claim time that it was a big mistake. Your goal is to buy the best coverage you can find at the best cost and still be able to protect your assets.
Some insurance companies may not have rates over the internet and most of the time these regional carriers sell through local independent agencies. Cost effective Pontiac Sunfire insurance can be purchased on the web and from local agencies, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best selection.
Insureds who switch companies do it for many reasons like an unsatisfactory settlement offer, high rates after DUI convictions, delays in paying claims or high prices. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, choosing a new company is easier than you think.
Much more information about auto insurance in North Carolina can be read below:
- What is a Telematics Device? (Allstate)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for a Learners Permit in Raleigh? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Raleigh Auto Insurance for a Toyota RAV4? (FAQ)
- Protect Yourself Against Auto Theft (Insurance Information Institute)
- Prepare your Teens for Safe Driving (InsureUonline.org)
- What is Full Coverage? (Allstate)