Truthfully, the best way to get the cheapest auto insurance rates in Raleigh is to compare quotes once a year from providers in North Carolina.
- Step 1: Learn about what is in your policy and the factors you can control to lower rates. Many rating criteria that cause rate increases such as inattentive driving and poor credit history can be controlled by making minor changes to your lifestyle.
- Step 2: Compare price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only quote rates from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agencies can provide price quotes for a wide range of insurance providers. Get quotes now
- Step 3: Compare the quotes to your existing rates to determine if you can save on 4Runner insurance in Raleigh. If you find a lower rate quote and decide to switch, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Step 4: Provide written notification to your current company of your intention to cancel the current policy and submit payment and a completed application to your new carrier. Immediately upon receiving it, place the new certificate verifying proof of insurance somewhere easily accessible.
The critical component of shopping around is to try to compare the same amount of coverage on every price quote and and to compare as many companies as possible. This helps ensure an accurate price comparison and the best price quote selection.
Astonishing but true according to a recent study, a large majority of drivers in North Carolina have remained with the same insurance company for over three years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never even compared rates from other companies. With the average insurance premium being $1,847, U.S. drivers could save 46.5% a year, but they assume it’s a waste of time to compare other rate quotes.
Find Toyota 4Runner Insurance More Affordably
Many factors are taken into consideration when pricing auto insurance. Some factors are common sense like an MVR report, but some are not as apparent such as your marital status or your financial responsibility. Consumers need to have an understanding of the rating factors that are used to determine the price you pay for car insurance. When you know what positively or negatively positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that may reward you with better car insurance rates.
The factors shown below are some of the items that factor into your prices.
Women pay lower rates – Statistics have proven that females take fewer risks when driving. The data does not necessarily mean that males are worse at driving than females. Females and males get in accidents at a similar rate, but guys cause more damage. Men also tend to get cited for more serious violations like DUI and reckless driving. Young men ages 16 to 20 have the highest risk to insure and are penalized with high car insurance rates.
The example below visualizes the comparison of Toyota 4Runner insurance rates for male and female drivers. The rate quotes are based on no claims, a clean driving record, full physical damage coverage, $100 deductibles, single status, and no policy discounts are applied.
Use credit responsibly and save – Having a good credit rating is a big factor in determining premium rates. Drivers who have very high credit ratings tend to be less risk to insure than drivers with lower credit ratings. Therefore, if your credit history can be improved, you may save money insuring your Toyota 4Runner if you clean up your credit.
Be proud to be claim-free – If you are the type of insured that files lots of claims you can pretty much guarantee either higher rates or even cancellation. Insurance companies in North Carolina generally give cheaper rates to people who are not frequent claim filers. Insurance coverage is meant to be used in the event of the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
Car features that lower rates – Choosing to buy a car with anti-theft technology or alarm system can help bring down rates. Systems that thwart thieves such as vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all hinder your car from being stolen.
Bundling policies can get discounts – Most insurers will give better rates to policyholders who have multiple policies with them. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount applied, drivers will still want to compare other company rates to help ensure you have the lowest rates.
What are good liability insurance limits? – Liability coverage will afford coverage when you are ruled to be at fault for damages caused by your negligence. It provides legal defense which can cost a lot. Liability insurance is pretty cheap compared to comp and collision, so buy as much as you can afford.
Insurance losses for a Toyota 4Runner – Insurers analyze past claim statistics to calculate a rate that will offset any claims. Models that the data determines to have higher prevalence or dollar amount of losses will have a higher premium rate. The table below demonstrates the loss history for Toyota 4Runner vehicles.
For each coverage category, the statistical loss for all vehicles combined as an average is considered to be 100. Values that are 100 or less suggest losses that are better than average, while values over 100 indicate frequent claims or statistically larger claims.
|Vehicle Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Toyota 4Runner 4dr 2WD||75||92||83||76||66||75|
|Toyota 4Runner 4dr 4WD||78||88||110||67||59||74|
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
Which Toyota 4Runner insurance is cheapest in Raleigh, NC?
All the larger car insurance companies like Progressive, Allstate and GEICO allow consumers to get prices directly from their websites. Getting quotes for Toyota 4Runner insurance in Raleigh is quite easy as you just type in your coverage information into a form. After the form is submitted, the system pulls information on your driving record and credit history and generates pricing information.
This makes it a lot easier to compare rates and it’s very important to get many rate quotes in order to find the best rate on car insurance.
If you want to compare pricing, compare rates now from the companies shown below. If you have a policy now, it’s recommended you input coverages and limits identical to your current policy. This way, you’re receiving rate comparison quotes for exact coverage.
The companies in the list below are ready to provide comparison quotes in North Carolina. To find cheap car insurance in Raleigh, we suggest you get rates from several of them to get the best price comparison.
Toyota 4Runner detailed coverage information
The price information shown next covers estimates of insurance rates for Toyota 4Runner models. Understanding how policy premiums are formulated can assist in making decisions on which coverage to buy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|4Runner Sport 2WD||$136||$178||$198||$12||$60||$584||$49|
|4Runner SR/5 2WD||$136||$218||$198||$12||$60||$624||$52|
|4Runner Sport 4WD||$136||$218||$198||$12||$60||$624||$52|
|4Runner SR/5 4WD||$136||$218||$198||$12||$60||$624||$52|
|4Runner Trail Edition 4WD||$152||$256||$198||$12||$60||$678||$57|
|4Runner Limited 2WD||$152||$256||$198||$12||$60||$678||$57|
|4Runner Limited 4WD||$152||$256||$198||$12||$60||$678||$57|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and North Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, claim-free, homeowner, multi-policy, and safe-driver. Premium costs do not factor in vehicle garaging location which can decrease or increase insurance rates considerably.
A question often asked by Raleigh drivers is how low should you set your deductibles. The tables below determine the differences in premium rates of buying low and high physical damage deductibles. The first rate comparisons uses a $100 deductible for comp and collision and the second set of rates uses a $500 deductible.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|4Runner Sport 2WD||$242||$318||$212||$12||$64||$873||$73|
|4Runner SR/5 2WD||$242||$386||$212||$12||$64||$941||$78|
|4Runner Sport 4WD||$242||$386||$212||$12||$64||$941||$78|
|4Runner SR/5 4WD||$242||$386||$212||$12||$64||$941||$78|
|4Runner Trail Edition 4WD||$270||$456||$212||$12||$64||$1,039||$87|
|4Runner Limited 2WD||$270||$456||$212||$12||$64||$1,039||$87|
|4Runner Limited 4WD||$270||$456||$212||$12||$64||$1,039||$87|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|4Runner Sport 2WD||$176||$214||$212||$12||$64||$678||$57|
|4Runner SR/5 2WD||$176||$262||$212||$12||$64||$726||$61|
|4Runner Sport 4WD||$176||$262||$212||$12||$64||$726||$61|
|4Runner SR/5 4WD||$176||$262||$212||$12||$64||$726||$61|
|4Runner Trail Edition 4WD||$196||$308||$212||$12||$64||$792||$66|
|4Runner Limited 2WD||$196||$308||$212||$12||$64||$792||$66|
|4Runner Limited 4WD||$196||$308||$212||$12||$64||$792||$66|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Above prices assume married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and North Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, safe-driver, multi-policy, homeowner, and multi-vehicle. Table data does not factor in specific location information which can influence price quotes greatly.
Based on the figures above, using a $100 deductible would cost the average driver about $18 more each month or $216 every year across all Toyota 4Runner models than quoting the higher $500 deductible. Since the policyholder would be required to pay $400 more to file a claim with a $500 deductible as compared to a $100 deductible, if you tend to average at least 22 months between claims, you would come out ahead going with the higher deductible.
Calculate deductible break even point
|Average monthly premium for $100 deductibles:||$81|
|Average monthly premium for $500 deductibles (subtract):||– $63|
|Monthly savings from raising deductible:||$18|
|Difference between deductibles ($500 – $100):||$400|
|Divide difference by monthly savings:||$400 / $18|
|Number of months required between physical damage coverage claims in order to save money by choosing the higher deductible||22 months|
Careless driving habits raise insurance rates
The diagram below highlights how traffic violations and at-fault accidents can impact Toyota 4Runner premium costs for each different age group. The data assumes a single female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Should you buy full coverage?
The information below compares Toyota 4Runner premium costs when comparing full coverage to state minimum liability only. The price estimates are based on no accidents or driving violations, $1,000 deductibles, marital status is single, and no other discounts are factored in.
Are you wasting money on full coverage?
There is no written rule of when to drop physical damage coverage on your policy, but there is a general guideline. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is about 10% or more of the settlement you would receive from your company, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
For example, let’s say your Toyota 4Runner replacement cost is $8,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most your company will settle for is $7,000 after paying your deductible. If it’s costing you more than $700 a year for your policy with full coverage, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
There are a few cases where removing full coverage is not in your best interest. If you haven’t satisfied your loan, you have to carry full coverage as part of the loan requirements. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should not remove full coverage.
Insurance in North Carolina serves several purposes
Despite the high cost, maintaining insurance is a good idea for several reasons.
- The majority of states have minimum liability requirements which means the state requires a minimum amount of liability insurance in order to drive the car. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Toyota 4Runner, almost every bank will require you to buy full coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the lender will be forced to insure your Toyota at a more expensive rate and require you to pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects both your Toyota and your assets. It also can pay for all forms of medical expenses incurred in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, will also pay attorney fees if you cause an accident and are sued. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of buying enough insurance definitely exceed the price paid, especially for larger claims. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver is wasting up to $750 every year so you should quote rates at every policy renewal to ensure rates are inline.
These discounts can lower your insurance quotes
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, but you might be missing out on some discounts that may help make it more affordable. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically at the time of purchase, but less common discounts must be manually applied before they will apply. If you are not receiving all the discounts possible, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Discounts for Responsible Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents may receive a discount up to 45% as compared to drivers with claims.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Cars, trucks, and SUVs with anti-lock braking systems are much safer to drive and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Early Signing – A few companies give discounts for switching companies prior to your current 4Runner insurance policy expiration. You may see this discount when you get Raleigh car insurance quotes online.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles – Buying coverage for primary and secondary vehicles with one company can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Sign Online – Some companies may give you up to $50 for completing your application digitally online.
- Senior Discount – Drivers that qualify as senior citizens could receive a small discount on rates.
- New Vehicle Savings – Insuring a new 4Runner can save up to 30% since newer vehicles have better safety ratings.
- Professional Organizations – Belonging to qualifying clubs or civic groups can get you a small discount on insurance.
- Safety Restraint Discount – Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to use a seat belt can save up to 15% off the PIP or medical payment premium.
As a footnote on discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to your bottom line cost. The majority will only reduce specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. Despite the appearance that it’s possible to get free car insurance, companies wouldn’t make money that way. But any discount will help reduce your premiums.
The diagram below illustrates the comparison of Toyota 4Runner premium costs with and without discounts applied to the rates. The data is based on a female driver, no accidents or driving violations, North Carolina state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with marriage, multi-car, claim-free, multi-policy, safe-driver, and homeowner discounts applied.
The best insurance companies and their possible discounts can be read below.
- Farm Bureau has discounts for multi-policy, multi-vehicle, youthful driver, safe driver, 55 and retired, driver training, and renewal discount.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for anti-theft, good student, passive restraint, Drive Safe & Save, safe vehicle, and student away at school.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including multi-vehicle, good student, multi-policy, online quote discount, online signing, and homeowner.
- Allstate offers discounts including good payer, senior citizen, 55 and retired, premier plus, new car, and EZ pay plan discount.
- Nationwide discounts include good student, accident-free, defensive driving, family plan, business or organization, and easy pay.
- MetLife may have discounts that include accident-free, multi-policy, good student, good driver, defensive driver, claim-free
If you need lower rates, check with each insurance company which discounts you may be entitled to. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not apply in your state. To choose companies who offer discounts in North Carolina, click this link.
Auto insurance agents near you
A small number of people would prefer to get advice from a local agent and that is not a bad decision Professional agents can help determine the best coverages and help file insurance claims. A nice benefit of price shopping on the web is the fact that you can find lower prices and still have an agent to talk to.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this form (opens in new window), your information is instantly submitted to insurance agents in Raleigh that give free quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You never need to visit any agencies because prices are sent immediately to you. If you want to get a comparison quote for a specific company, don’t hesitate to visit that company’s website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Finding the right provider needs to be determined by more than just the price. Any agent in Raleigh should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- Where would your vehicle be repaired?
- Do they write coverage based solely on cost?
- If you have an accident, will your rates go up?
- What company holds the largest book of business for them?
Independent or Exclusive: It’s your choice
If you need to find a good insurance agency, there are two different types of agents and how they can quote your rates. Agents in Raleigh can be classified as either independent agents or exclusive agents. Either type can sell and service car insurance coverage, but it’s important to point out the difference between them because it can influence your selection of an agent.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
Agents of this type can only provide one company’s prices and some examples include Farmers Insurance, State Farm, or Allstate. They usually cannot compare other company’s rates so it’s a take it or leave it situation. They are trained well on their company’s products and that allows them to sell at a higher price point. Some consumers prefer to purchase coverage from exclusives mostly because of loyalty to the company and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
The following is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in Raleigh who can help you get rate quotes.
- Allstate Insurance: Brandon Reece
9204 Falls of Neuse Rd Ste 100 – Raleigh, NC 27615 – (919) 329-2580 – View Map
- Danny Newton – State Farm Insurance Agent
6021 Poyner Village Pkwy #109 – Raleigh, NC 27616 – (919) 875-1955 – View Map
- Karen Boone – State Farm Insurance Agent
5603 Creedmoor Rd – Raleigh, NC 27612 – (919) 782-6666 – View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be independent are not locked into one company and that allows them to write policies through lots of different companies and find you cheaper rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your agent can switch companies and you won’t have to switch agencies.
When comparing car insurance rates, you will want to contact a few independent agents to get the most accurate price comparison. A lot of them also have access to additional companies that you may not be familiar with which can save you money.
Below is a list of independent insurance agencies in Raleigh that are able to give price quotes.
- Nationwide Insurance: Carter Glass Insurance Agency
5901 Falls of Neuse Rd – Raleigh, NC 27609 – (919) 872-1778 – View Map
- Blackmon Insurance
3416 Poole Rd # 110 – Raleigh, NC 27610 – (919) 231-8131 – View Map
- Wade S Dunbar Insurance
7951 Monument Ln # 201 – Raleigh, NC 27615 – (919) 720-2290 – View Map
When to get professional advice
Always remember that when buying the right insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a perfect coverage plan. Everyone’s situation is unique so your insurance needs to address that.
For instance, these questions can help discover if your insurance needs may require specific advice.
- Do I need replacement cost coverage?
- Do I have coverage if my license is suspended?
- I have good health insurance, so how much medical payments coverage do I need?
- Am I covered when pulling a rental trailer?
- Are rock chip repairs covered?
- How long can I keep a teen driver on my policy?
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
If you’re not sure about those questions but a few of them apply, you may need to chat with an agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can help protect your family.
Affordable coverage is out there
We’ve covered a lot of tips how to reduce Toyota 4Runner insurance premium rates online in Raleigh. The key concept to understand is the more times you quote, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even discover the lowest premium rates come from some of the lesser-known companies. Some small companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost compared to the large companies like State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
When buying insurance coverage, it’s not a good idea to buy poor coverage just to save money. There have been many situations where an insured cut physical damage coverage only to discover later that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The aim is to buy the best coverage you can find at an affordable rate and still be able to protect your assets.
- Winter Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Raleigh Car Insurance for Veterans? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Raleigh Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers Requiring a SR22? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for Infrequent Drivers in Raleigh? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for a Honda Civic in Raleigh? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Raleigh Car Insurance Rates for Unemployed Drivers? (FAQ)
- Where can I buy Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Safe Vehicles for Teens (iihs.org)
- Car Insurance FAQ (Trusted Choice)