A recent car insurance study revealed that most car insurance customers renewed their policy with the same company for at least four years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never even shopped around for lower-cost coverage. North Carolina insurance shoppers can cut their rates by approximately 10% a year just by comparing rates, but they underestimate how much they could save if they replace their high priced policy.
If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to find more affordable auto insurance rates in Raleigh is to regularly compare quotes from different companies in North Carolina. Prices can be compared by completing these steps.
- Take a little time to learn about how insurance works and the factors you can control to prevent rate increases. Many factors that drive up the price like inattentive driving and a less-than-favorable credit rating can be rectified by making minor changes to your lifestyle.
- Obtain price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only quote rates from one company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agents can quote rates for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Compare the price quotes to the price on your current policy to see if a cheaper price is available. If you find a lower rate and buy the policy, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Notify your company or agent of your decision to cancel the current policy and submit payment and a signed application to the new insurer. As soon as you can, safely store the proof of insurance certificate in an easily accessible location.
A good piece of advice is that you’ll want to compare identical coverage information on each quote request and and to get prices from as many auto insurance providers as possible. Doing this ensures a fair rate comparison and plenty of rates choose from.
The majority of larger companies provide coverage price quotes online. The process doesn’t take a lot of time because you just enter the coverage amounts you desire into the form. After the form is submitted, their system pulls your driving and credit reports and returns pricing information.
This makes it simple to compare prices and it is important to get many rate quotes if you are searching for cheap rates.
To find out what other companies charge, compare quotes from the companies shown below. If you currently have coverage, we recommend you input the coverage information identical to your current policy. This way, you will receive rate comparison quotes for similar coverage.
The companies in the list below are ready to provide free rate quotes in North Carolina. To locate cheap auto insurance in Raleigh, we suggest you click on several of them to find the lowest auto insurance rates.
Car insurance in North Carolina serves several purposes
Despite the potentially high cost of Ford Explorer insurance, insurance is a good idea for several reasons.
- Almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to carry specific limits of liability coverage in order to drive the car legally. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Explorer, it’s guaranteed your bank will make it mandatory that you have physical damage coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you default on your policy, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Ford at a much higher premium rate and require you to pay much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance safeguards both your vehicle and your personal assets. Insurance will pay for all forms of medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability insurance also covers legal expenses if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If you have damage to your Ford as the result of the weather or an accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of insuring your Explorer more than cancel out the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. Today the average American driver is overpaying more than $869 every year so it’s very important to do a rate comparison at least once a year to make sure the price is not too high.
Insurance coverage details
The coverage table below covers estimates of coverage costs for Ford Explorer models. Being able to understand how policy premiums are determined is important for drivers to make informed decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Explorer XLT 2WD||$214||$328||$336||$20||$100||$998||$83|
|Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD||$214||$328||$336||$20||$100||$998||$83|
|Explorer XLT 4WD||$214||$328||$336||$20||$100||$998||$83|
|Explorer XLT AWD||$214||$328||$336||$20||$100||$998||$83|
|Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD||$242||$398||$336||$20||$100||$1,096||$91|
|Explorer Eddie Bauer AWD||$242||$398||$336||$20||$100||$1,096||$91|
|Explorer Limited 2WD||$242||$398||$336||$20||$100||$1,096||$91|
|Explorer Limited 4WD||$242||$398||$336||$20||$100||$1,096||$91|
|Explorer Limited AWD||$242||$398||$336||$20||$100||$1,096||$91|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data variables include single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and North Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, homeowner, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, and claim-free. Table data does not factor in your specific Raleigh location which can influence coverage rates noticeably.
The illustration below shows how choosing a deductible and can increase or decrease Ford Explorer insurance costs for different age categories. The rate quotes are based on a single male driver, comp and collision included, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Impact of careless driving on insurance rates
The diagram below illustrates how violations and accident claims drive up Ford Explorer car insurance rates for different insured age categories. The premium estimates are based on a single male driver, comp and collision included, $100 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
Age-based insurance rates by gender
The information below shows the difference between Ford Explorer car insurance costs for male and female drivers. The rate quotes are based on no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, full physical damage coverage, $100 deductibles, single marital status, and no other discounts are factored in.
Rate difference between full and liability-only coverage
The chart below visualizes the comparison of Ford Explorer insurance prices with full coverage compared to only the North Carolina minimum liability coverage. The costs are based on no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no policy discounts are applied.
When to stop buying comprehensive and collision coverage
There is no clear-cut rule for dropping physical damage coverage, but there is a guideline you can use. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is more than 10% of the vehicle’s replacement cost less your deductible, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
For example, let’s say your Ford Explorer settlement value is $3,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most your company would pay you is $2,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If you are paying in excess of $200 a year for full coverage, then you might consider buying liability only.
There are some circumstances where eliminating full coverage is not advised. If you haven’t satisfied your loan, you have to keep full coverage in order to prevent your loan from defaulting. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should not drop full coverage.
Reduce your car insurance rates with discounts
Buying car insurance is not cheap, but you may be missing some discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Certain discounts will be applied at the time you complete a quote, but some may not be applied and must be requested specifically before being credited.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Factory air bags may qualify for discounts of 20% or more.
- No Accidents – Raleigh drivers who stay claim-free get the best car insurance rates when compared to bad drivers.
- Own a Home – Owning a house in Raleigh can get you a discount because of the fact that having a home demonstrates responsibility.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Vehicles equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems can help prevent theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Membership in Organizations – Joining certain professional organizations could trigger savings on your next car insurance statement.
- Cautious Driver Discounts – Insureds who avoid accidents could pay up to 40% less compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- College Student – Any of your kids who live away from home to go to college and do not take a car to college could get you a discount.
- Data Collection Discounts – People who choose to allow driving data collection to scrutinize driving habits by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as Progressive’s Snapshot and State Farm’s In-Drive could save a few bucks as long as the data is positive.
One last thing about discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the whole policy. Most only apply to specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. So even though they make it sound like it’s possible to get free car insurance, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy. Any qualifying discounts will lower the cost of your policy.
The illustration below illustrates the comparison of Ford Explorer insurance prices with and without discounts applied to the policy premium. The rates are based on a male driver, no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, North Carolina state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with claim-free, homeowner, marriage, multi-car, safe-driver, and multi-policy discounts applied.
Companies and some of their more popular discounts can be read below.
- Esurance includes discounts for multi-car, paid-in-full, multi-policy, defensive driver, anti-theft, emergency road assistance, and renters.
- The Hartford may include discounts for defensive driver, driver training, bundle, air bag, and good student.
- AAA offers premium reductions for good driver, multi-policy, good student, pay-in-full, and education and occupation.
- GEICO offers discounts including good student, military active duty, membership and employees, anti-lock brakes, driver training, and emergency military deployment.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including Steer Clear safe driver discount, Drive Safe & Save, defensive driving training, accident-free, and safe vehicle.
Before you buy a policy, ask each company to give you their best rates. Discounts may not apply to policyholders in Raleigh. To see insurance companies who offer online Ford Explorer insurance quotes in Raleigh, click here to view.
Compare rates but work with a local neighborhood Raleigh car insurance agent
Some consumers just prefer to talk to a local agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases One of the great benefits of price shopping on the web is the fact that you can find the best rates and still choose a local agent. And buying from local agencies is important particularly in Raleigh.
By using this quick form, the quote information is sent to local insurance agents who will return price quotes to get your business. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to find an agent due to the fact that quote results will go immediately to your email address. You can find lower rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If you need to get a rate quote from a particular provider, you can always navigate to their website and give them your coverage information.
The following are Raleigh insurance companies that may be willing to give price quote information for Ford Explorer insurance in Raleigh.
- J. Miller Lawson Agency – Nationwide Insurance
9360 Falls of Neuse Rd #201 – Raleigh, NC 27615 – (919) 676-5695 – View Map
- Young Insurance Associates, Inc
2609 Atlantic Ave #107 – Raleigh, NC 27604 – (919) 322-4186 – View Map
- Marcus L Davis Agency
3901 Barrett Dr Suite 312 – Raleigh, NC 27609 – (919) 772-7698 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Bonnita Hargis
1620 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd #104 – Raleigh, NC 27610 – (919) 250-3606 – View Map
Choosing the best provider is decision based upon more than just a low price. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- How long has the business existed?
- Are they actively involved in the community?
- Can you get a list of referrals?
- What is the financial rating for the quoted company?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
- What company holds the largest book of business for them?
- Where are claims handled?
- Are there any discounts for paying up front?
After receiving good feedback as well as offering an affordable quote, you may have found an insurer that will properly insure your vehicles.
Different people need different auto insurance coverages
When quoting and comparing the best auto insurance coverage, there is no one size fits all plan. Everyone’s needs are different so this has to be addressed.
For example, these questions can help discover if you would benefit from professional advice.
- Do all my vehicles need collision coverage?
- Who does medical payments coverage extend to?
- How can I get the company to pay a claim?
- Which companies will insure me after a DUI?
- Does coverage extend to Mexico or Canada?
- Am I covered by my employer’s commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- Should I waive the damage coverage when renting a car?
- Does my Ford Explorer need full coverage?
- Is there coverage for injuries to my pets?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but one or more may apply to you then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area.
Keep this in mind when shopping around
Discount Ford Explorer insurance in Raleigh can be found on the web and also from your neighborhood Raleigh agents, and you need to price shop both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance companies do not offer price quotes online and these smaller companies work with independent insurance agencies.
We just showed you many ideas to compare Ford Explorer insurance rates in Raleigh. The most important thing to understand is the more you quote Raleigh auto insurance, the better your comparison will be. Consumers could even find that the best price on insurance is with a lesser-known regional company. Smaller companies may often insure only within specific states and give better rates than their larger competitors like State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
- Understanding your Policy (NAIC.org)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Good Drivers in Raleigh? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Raleigh Car Insurance for Low Mileage Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Raleigh Auto Insurance for a Toyota RAV4? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for a Jeep Grand Cherokee in Raleigh? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for Active Military in Raleigh? (FAQ)
- New head restraint design cuts injuries (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Vehicle Size and Weight FAQ (iihs.org)
- Older Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)