It’s a known fact that insurance companies don’t want customers comparing rates. Drivers who rate shop once a year will probably move their business because there is a good probability of finding a lower-priced policy. Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that consumers who shopped around every year saved approximately $70 a month as compared to drivers who never shopped around for cheaper prices.
If finding the best rates on insurance in Raleigh is your target objective, then understanding the best way to quote and compare insurance coverage can make the process less intimidating.
To save the most money, the best way to find more affordable car insurance rates in Raleigh is to compare prices annually from companies in North Carolina. Rates can be compared by completing these steps.
- Get an understanding of car insurance and the modifications you can make to keep rates down. Many risk factors that increase rates such as at-fault accidents and a not-so-good credit score can be eliminated by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
- Request price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can provide rates from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agencies can give you price quotes from multiple insurance companies.
- Compare the new quotes to your current policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you can save money, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
- Provide notification to your current company of your decision to cancel your current auto insurance policy and submit any necessary down payment along with the completed application to the new insurer. When you receive it, put the certificate verifying proof of insurance above your visor, in the console, or in the glove compartment.
A valuable tip to remember is that you use the same amount of coverage on each quote request and and to get prices from as many car insurance companies as possible. This helps ensure the most accurate price comparison and plenty of rates choose from.
Choosing the most cost-effective auto insurance policy in Raleigh can be made easier if you know where to look. In essence, every driver who is shopping for auto insurance should find a lower price. But North Carolina car owners do need to know the methods companies use to calculate their prices and take advantage of how the system works.
Determine discounts to get cheap Raleigh car insurance quotes
Some insurers do not advertise the entire discount list in a way that’s easy to find, so the list below details some of the more common as well as the least known discounts that may be available. If you check and find you aren’t receiving every discount available, you could be getting lower rates.
- Safety Restraint Discount – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to fasten their seat belts can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Early Signing – Some insurance companies provide a discount for renewing your policy before your current coverage expires. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- Passenger Safety Discount – Factory air bags or motorized seat belts can qualify for discounts of 20% or more.
- Theft Deterrent System – Cars equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are stolen less frequently so companies will give you a small discount.
- Senior Citizen Rates – Mature drivers may receive better car insurance rates.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Putting car insurance coverage on a new Neon can save up to 30% because newer models keep occupants safer.
- Payment Method – If you pay your bill all at once as opposed to paying monthly you can avoid the installment charge.
- Discount for Good Grades – Getting good grades may save you up to 25%. You can use this discount normally well after school through age 25.
- Accident Free – Claim-free drivers have much lower rates when compared with accident-prone drivers.
A little note about advertised discounts, many deductions do not apply to your bottom line cost. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though it appears all those discounts means the company will pay you, that’s just not realistic. But all discounts will cut the amount you have to pay.
Some companies that have these discounts include:
When comparing rates, check with every company which discounts can lower your rates. All car insurance discounts may not be available in your state. To locate car insurance companies that have a full spectrum of discounts in Raleigh, click here to view.
Shop Dodge Neon insurance online
There are several ways to compare prices from companies that offer auto insurance in North Carolina. The quickest method to find the cheapest Dodge Neon insurance rates is to get quotes online.
Doing online rate quotes comparisons is so easy that it makes it obsolete to drive around to each insurance agency near you. Comparing Dodge Neon insurance rate quotes online eliminates the middleman unless you want the guidance only provided by licensed Raleigh agents. Drivers can price shop online but buy from a local insurance agent.
Just keep in mind that comparing more quotes will increase your chances of finding better pricing.
The auto insurance companies shown below have been selected to offer free rate quotes in North Carolina. If your goal is to find the cheapest car insurance in Raleigh, NC, we suggest you visit as many as you can to get a more complete price comparison.
Your situation helps dictate your coverage
When quoting and comparing proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is no “best” method to buy coverage. You are unique.
For instance, these questions can help discover whether your personal situation could use an agent’s help.
- Do I need PIP (personal injury protection) coverage in North Carolina?
- Do I need special coverage while pulling a rented trailer?
- Do they offer discounts for home and auto coverage?
- Does my Dodge Neon need full coverage?
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
- Should I drop comprehensive coverage on older vehicles?
- Am I covered if I back into my garage door?
- When should I not buy collision coverage?
- Am I missing any policy discounts?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, complete this form.
Are car insurance agents used anymore?
Many drivers would prefer to sit down with an agent and that is not a bad decision One of the best bonuses of comparing rate quotes online is you can get cheap rate quotes and still buy from a local agent.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this form (opens in new window), your information is submitted to companies in Raleigh who will give you bids and help you find cheaper coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to contact any agents due to the fact that quote results will go straight to your inbox. You can get cheaper insurance rates without requiring a lot of work. If you wish to quote rates for a specific company, you can always visit that company’s website to submit a rate quote request.
Choosing an provider requires you to look at more than just a cheap quote. These are valid questions to ask:
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- Do they get paid more for recommending certain coverages?
- Does the agent help file claims?
When researching a reputable insurance agent or broker, you must know there are a couple different agency structures and how they can service your needs differently. Agents are classified as either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive agents can only place business with one company such as Allstate, AAA, Farmers Insurance, and State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot provide other company’s prices so always compare other rates. Exclusive agents receive extensive training on their products and sales techniques which helps offset the inability to provide other markets.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive agencies in Raleigh willing to provide price quotes.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agents are not employed by one company so they can insure your vehicles amongst many companies and find the cheapest rate. If your premiums go up, they simply switch companies in-house without you having to go to a different agency. If you need lower rates, you should always include price quotes from at a minimum one independent agency for the best price selection.
Shown below is a list of independent insurance agencies in Raleigh that can give you price quotes.
Car insurance policy specifics
Having a good grasp of your policy can be of help when determining appropriate coverage and the correct deductibles and limits. Car insurance terms can be difficult to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Collision insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You have to pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision can pay for things such as hitting a parking meter, crashing into a building, backing into a parked car, colliding with a tree and colliding with another moving vehicle. This coverage can be expensive, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. Another option is to bump up the deductible on your Neon to bring the cost down.
Comprehensive coverage (or Other than Collision)
Comprehensive insurance coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage that is not covered by collision coverage. A deductible will apply and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims such as rock chips in glass, hail damage and hitting a bird. The most you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Insurance for medical payments
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP pay for expenses for things like ambulance fees, pain medications, dental work and surgery. They are used in conjunction with a health insurance program or if you lack health insurance entirely. Coverage applies to both the driver and occupants in addition to being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal injury protection coverage is not universally available but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
This coverage protects you from damage that occurs to people or other property that is your fault. It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You commonly see limits of 30/60/25 which stand for $30,000 bodily injury coverage, a per accident bodily injury limit of $60,000, and $25,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability insurance covers claims such as medical services, court costs and structural damage. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is your choice, but consider buying as high a limit as you can afford. North Carolina requires drivers to carry at least 30/60/25 but drivers should carry better liability coverage.
The next chart shows why buying low liability limits may not provide you with enough coverage.
Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist insurance
This coverage protects you and your vehicle from other motorists when they are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. This coverage pays for medical payments for you and your occupants as well as damage to your Dodge Neon.
Since many North Carolina drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (30/60/25 in North Carolina), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family.
Compare. Compare. Compare.
Cheap Dodge Neon insurance in Raleigh can be sourced from both online companies in addition to many Raleigh insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance companies may not have internet price quotes and usually these small, regional companies only sell through independent insurance agencies.
Insureds change insurance companies for any number of reasons including being labeled a high risk driver, policy non-renewal, high prices or even extreme rates for teen drivers. Whatever your reason, choosing a new insurance company is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
As you quote Raleigh car insurance, never buy poor coverage just to save money. In too many instances, an insured cut comprehensive coverage or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that they should have had better coverage. Your objective should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best cost.
To read more, feel free to visit the articles below:
- What is Full Coverage? (Allstate)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for a Honda CR-V in Raleigh? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for a Nissan Sentra in Raleigh? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for 17 Year Olds in Raleigh? (FAQ)
- Prepare your Teens for Safe Driving (InsureUonline.org)
- Tread Depth and Tire Safety (State Farm)
- Liability Insurance Coverage (Nationwide)