Statistics show that over 70% of North Carolina drivers renewed their policy with the same company for four years or more, and 38% of drivers have never even compared quotes to find affordable rates. American drivers can save roughly $860 each year by just comparing quotes, but they don’t know the rate savings if they moved their coverage to a different company.
It takes a little time, but the best way to get more affordable Chevy Tahoe insurance is to start comparing prices regularly from insurance carriers in Raleigh. Drivers can shop around by following these guidelines.
Step 1: Try to understand how insurance works and the things you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many policy risk factors that cause high rates like traffic citations and a lousy credit rating can be rectified by paying attention to minor details. Later in this article we will cover tips to prevent expensive rate increases and get additional discounts.
Step 2: Request rate estimates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct and exclusive agents can give quotes from one company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while agents who are independent can quote rates from multiple companies.
Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to the price on your current policy and see if there is a cheaper rate. If you find better rates, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
One key aspect when comparing rates is to compare the same level of coverage on every quote request and and to get price quotes from as many auto insurance providers as possible. Doing this guarantees an apples-to-apples comparison and a thorough selection of prices.
Our objective in writing this article is to let you in on how to get online quotes and some money-saving tips. If you currently have auto insurance, you will most likely be able to reduce the price you pay using the techniques covered below. Drivers just have to understand the quickest method to get comparison rates online.
Getting a cheap price on Chevy Tahoe insurance is an easy way to save money. All you need to do is spend a little time comparing price quotes from online providers.
It’s so fast and easy to compare price quotes online that it replaces the need to drive around to different Raleigh agent offices. Comparing online rate quotes eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless you require the advice and guidance only provided by licensed Raleigh agents. Some companies do allow you to comparison shop your insurance online but have a local agent actually write the policy.
The providers in the list below offer price comparisons in Raleigh, NC. If you wish to find the best cheap car insurance in Raleigh, NC, we recommend you visit two to three different companies to get the best price comparison.
Car insurance analysis for a Chevy Tahoe
The rate information shown next highlights a range of insurance prices for Chevy Tahoe models. Understanding how rate quotes are figured can help guide drivers when making decisions when choosing a new policy provider.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Tahoe LS 2WD||$186||$318||$254||$16||$76||$850||$71|
|Tahoe LS 4WD||$210||$318||$254||$16||$76||$874||$73|
|Tahoe LT 2WD||$210||$318||$254||$16||$76||$874||$73|
|Tahoe LT 4WD||$210||$318||$254||$16||$76||$874||$73|
|Tahoe LTZ 2WD||$210||$374||$254||$16||$76||$930||$78|
|Tahoe LTZ 4WD||$210||$374||$254||$16||$76||$930||$78|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and North Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, safe-driver, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and claim-free. Estimates do not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can modify coverage prices greatly.
Rate comparison of full coverage and liability-only
The example below illustrates the difference between Chevy Tahoe insurance prices with and without full coverage. The data assumes no claims or violations, $250 deductibles, drivers are single, and no other discounts are factored in.
When to stop buying comprehensive and collision coverage
There is no set guideline to stop paying for full coverage on your policy, but there is a general convention. If the yearly cost of comp and collision coverage is more than 10% of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
For example, let’s assume your Chevy Tahoe settlement value is $9,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most your company will settle for is $8,000 after paying your policy deductible. If premiums are more than $800 annually for full coverage, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
There are a few situations where removing full coverage is not recommended. If you haven’t paid off your loan, you have to maintain full coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if you don’t have enough money to buy a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should keep full coverage on your policy.
Why you need to buy car insurance
Despite the high cost, buying car insurance may not be optional for several reasons.
- Almost all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means the state requires a specific minimum amount of liability protection if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Chevy has a lienholder, most banks will require that you have insurance to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If the policy lapses, the bank may buy a policy for your Chevy at a much higher premium rate and require you to fork over for it.
- Car insurance preserves both your assets and your car. Insurance will also pay for many types of medical costs for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit in the event you are sued. If you have damage to your Chevy as the result of the weather or an accident, your car insurance policy will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance greatly outweigh the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer overpays more than $865 each year so compare rate quotes once a year at a minimum to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Why Smart Buyers Pay Less for Chevy Tahoe Insurance
A large part of saving on auto insurance is knowing the different types of things that are used to determine auto insurance rates. If you understand what impacts premium levels, this enables you to make decisions that could result in lower premium levels. Many things are used when you get your auto insurance bill. Some are obvious like an MVR report, but others are less obvious such as your marital status or how safe your car is.
- Know your credit rating – A driver’s credit score can be a huge factor in determining premium rates. Therefore, if your credit leaves room for improvement, you could potentially save money when insuring your Chevrolet Tahoe by improving your rating. Insureds that have high credit ratings tend to file fewer claims than drivers who have lower credit ratings.
Vehicle risk impacts rates – The performance of the vehicle you are insuring makes a big difference in determining your rates. The lowest rates will normally be found when insuring economy passenger models, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
The following data assumes a married female driver age 20, full coverage with $1000 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. It illustrates Chevrolet Tahoe insurance rates compared to other makes and models that have a range of performance risks.
- Marriage discount – Your spouse can actually save you money compared to being single. Having a significant other usually means you are less irresponsible and insurance companies like that married drivers tend to have fewer serious accidents.
Do females or males drive better? – Statistics demonstrate females are less aggressive when driving. The data does not necessarily mean that women are BETTER drivers than men. Males and females cause auto accidents in similar percentages, but the males have accidents that have higher claims. Not only are claims higher, but men get more serious tickets like reckless driving and DUI. Male teenagers generally have the highest accident percentage and therefore are the most expensive to insure.
The diagram below visualizes the comparison of Chevy Tahoe auto insurance rates for male and female drivers. The premiums assume no claims, a clean driving record, comprehensive and collision coverage, $1,000 deductibles, single status, and no other discounts are factored in.
- Liability insurance safeguards assets – Liability coverage will provide protection if you are determined to be liable for personal injury or accident damage. Your liability coverage provides for a legal defense starting from day one. This coverage is relatively inexpensive as compared to coverage for physical damage, so insureds should have plenty of protection for their assets.
Don’t get traffic citations – A bad driving record has a big impact on rates. Only having one speeding ticket or other violation can increase rates by as much as twenty percent. Drivers who don’t get tickets receive lower rates than their less careful counterparts. Drivers with flagrant violations such as DUI or reckless driving might be required by their state to prove financial responsibility with their state motor vehicle department in order to legally drive a vehicle.
The example below demonstrates how traffic citations and at-fault accidents can raise Chevy Tahoe insurance costs for different age groups. The rate quotes are based on a single male driver, comp and collision included, $500 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
- If you don’t need it don’t buy it – There are many optional add-on coverages that you can get tricked into buying if you don’t pay attention. Coverage for things like rental car coverage, high-cost glass coverage, and membership fees may be costing you every month. These coverages may sound good initially, but now you might not need them so eliminate them to save money.
- Always keep your auto insurance in force – Allowing your auto insurance policy to lapse is a guaranteed way to increase your auto insurance rates. And not only will insurance be more expensive, the inability to provide proof of insurance will get you a fine, jail time, or a revoked license. You will then be forced to file a SR-22 with the North Carolina DMV.
Loss probability for a Chevy Tahoe – Auto insurance companies use data from past claims to help calculate premium rates. Models that the statistics show to have higher claim frequency or loss amount will be charged more to insure. The table below demonstrates the compiled insurance loss statistics for Chevy Tahoe vehicles.
For each policy coverage, the claim probability for all vehicles, regardless of make or model, equals 100. Values that are below 100 are indicative of better than average losses, while values that are above 100 indicate a higher chance of having a claim or an increased chance of a larger loss.
Auto Insurance Loss Data for Chevrolet Tahoe Models Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Chevrolet Tahoe 4dr 2WD 82 90 105 70 63 88 Chevrolet Tahoe 4dr 4WD 83 89 103 68 62 80BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Chevy Tahoe insurance discounts in Raleigh
Companies offering auto insurance don’t always publicize every discount available very clearly, so the below list has a few of the more well known as well as some of the hidden credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Raleigh car insurance online.
- Discount for Swiching Early – Some larger companies provide a discount for switching policies before your current expiration date. Ten percent is about the average savings.
- No Claims – Insureds who avoid accidents and claims can earn big discounts compared to drivers who are more careless.
- Early Payment Discounts – By making one initial payment instead of paying each month you can avoid monthly service charges.
- Telematics Data Discounts – Policyholders that allow their car insurance company to scrutinize driving manner by using a small device installed in their vehicle such as Snapshot from Progressive or Drivewise from Allstate might get better premium rates as long as the data is positive.
- Theft Deterrent Discount – Cars with anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and earn discounts up to 10% off your Raleigh car insurance quote.
- Discount for Good Grades – A discount for being a good student can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. This discount can apply well after school through age 25.
- Online Discount – A handful of larger companies provide a small discount for buying your policy on their website.
- New Vehicle Savings – Insuring a new Tahoe is cheaper since newer models are generally safer.
Don’t be shocked that some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. So even though you would think you can get free auto insurance, nobody gets a free ride. Any amount of discount should help reduce your premiums.
The diagram below illustrates the difference between Chevy Tahoe car insurance rates with and without discounts applied to the policy premium. The premium estimates are based on a female driver, no accidents or driving violations, North Carolina state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with safe-driver, multi-car, multi-policy, claim-free, homeowner, and marriage discounts applied.
For a list of insurance companies that have a full spectrum of discounts in North Carolina, click here.
When to have guidance from an insurance agent
A small number of people still prefer to go talk to an agent and doing so can bring peace of mind Good agents can make sure you are properly covered and will help you if you have claims. One of the best bonuses of comparing rates online is you may find the best rates and still have an agent to talk to. And providing support for local agents is important especially in Raleigh.
Upon completion of this form (opens in new window), your information is sent to companies in Raleigh who will return price quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You won’t even need to contact any insurance agencies since price quotes are sent directly to your email. If you wish to compare rates from a particular provider, you would need to search and find their rate quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
What type of Raleigh car insurance agent is right for you?
If you want a local insurance agency, it helps to know the two types of insurance agents that you can choose from. Raleigh agents are considered either independent or exclusive. Both types of agents can sell and service insurance coverage, but we need to point out the subtle differences because it can influence which agent you choose.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent agencies are not restricted to one company and that enables them to quote your coverage through lots of different companies and potentially find a lower price. To transfer your coverage to a different company, they simply switch companies in-house and that require little work on your part.
When comparing rates, we recommend you get insurance quotes from several independent insurance agents to have the most options to choose from.
Below are independent insurance agencies in Raleigh that may be able to give rate quotes.
Agents of this type can only quote rates from one company and examples are Farmers Insurance, State Farm, Allstate, and AAA. These agents are unable to give you multiple price quotes so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive agents are usually quite knowledgeable on what they offer which can be an advantage.
Shown below is a short list of exclusive agents in Raleigh that are able to give rate quotes.
Picking a insurance agent shouldn’t rely on just a cheap price quote. These questions are important to ask:
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in North Carolina?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- Will a damage claim use OEM or aftermarket replacement parts?
- How often do they review coverages?
Upon getting satisfactory answers to all your questions as well as a affordable price, chances are good that you have found a car insurance agent that can provide insurance coverage.
Which auto insurance company is best in Raleigh?
Ending up with a high-quality company can be rather challenging considering how many different companies sell coverage in Raleigh. The rank data shown next can help you select which car insurance providers you want to consider to insure your vehicles.
Top 10 Raleigh Car Insurance Companies by A.M. Best Rank
- Travelers – A++
- USAA – A++
- GEICO – A++
- State Farm – A++
- Titan Insurance – A+
- Esurance – A+
- Progressive – A+
- The Hartford – A+
- Allstate – A+
- Nationwide – A+
Top 10 Raleigh Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Value
- Mercury Insurance
- American Family
- AAA Insurance
- Safeco Insurance
- The Hartford
- The General
- 21st Century
Compare. Compare. Compare.
When you buy Raleigh car insurance online, it’s very important that you do not sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There have been many cases where an accident victim reduced collision coverage only to discover later that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your goal should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at a price you can afford, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
The cheapest Chevy Tahoe insurance in Raleigh is available online as well as from independent agents in Raleigh, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some companies may not have rate quotes online and most of the time these smaller companies only sell through local independent agencies.
Other learning opportunities
- Event Data Recorders FAQ (iihs.org)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for a Nissan Altima in Raleigh? (FAQ)
- How Much is Car Insurance for Ride Shares in Raleigh? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Raleigh Car Insurance Quotes for a Ford Explorer? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for Drivers Under 21 in Raleigh? (FAQ)
- New Honda safety features benefit drivers of all ages (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Child Safety FAQ (iihs.org)
- Auto Insurance Learning Center (State Farm)
- Safety Belts FAQ (iihs.org)