I can’t think of anyone who gets a kick out of paying for auto insurance, particularly when their premiums are through the roof.
Everyone knows that car insurance companies don’t want policyholders to shop around. Insureds who perform rate comparisons will presumably buy a different policy because there is a significant possibility of finding a lower-cost company. A recent survey discovered that consumers who regularly shopped around saved over $72 a month compared to other drivers who never shopped for cheaper rates.
If finding budget-friendly auto insurance is your ultimate target, then knowing the best way to shop and compare insurance premiums can make it easier for you to save money.
Consumers have many car insurance companies to buy insurance from, and though it is a good thing to be able to choose, having more insurers makes it harder to adequately compare rates for Chevy Silverado insurance in Raleigh.
When shopping for inexpensive Raleigh car insurance quotes, there are a couple of ways to get quotes from different companies. The simplest method to comparison shop consists of obtaining rate quotes online.
It’s so simple to compare auto insurance quotes online replaces the need to spend time driving to insurance agencies in your area. Shopping for auto insurance online makes this unnecessary unless you’re the type of person who wants the professional guidance of an agent trained in personal lines coverage. It is possible to get the lowest quotes online but have a local agent actually write the policy. When comparing auto insurance rates, know that comparing all the rates in your area will increase your chances of finding better pricing.
The companies shown below are ready to provide free rate quotes in Raleigh, NC. To buy the best car insurance in North Carolina, we suggest you visit two to three different companies in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Insurance policy discounts you can’t miss
Auto insurance companies do not advertise all available discounts very clearly, so the list below details both well-publicized and the more hidden insurance savings.
- Multiple Cars – Buying coverage for several vehicles with the same company qualifies for this discount.
- Multiple Policy Discount – When you combine your homeowners and auto insurance with the same company you may earn at least 10% off all policies.
- Membership in Organizations – Participating in certain professional organizations could trigger savings when getting a Raleigh car insurance quote.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Have your child take driver’s ed class in school.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts may be able to save a few bucks on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
Drivers should understand that some credits don’t apply to your bottom line cost. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. Even though the math looks like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
The example below visualizes the comparison of Chevy Silverado insurance costs with and without discounts. The premium estimates are based on a female driver, no claims or violations, North Carolina state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with safe-driver, multi-policy, multi-car, claim-free, homeowner, and marriage discounts applied.
Large insurance companies and a selection of discounts are shown below.
- The Hartford offers premium reductions for bundle, anti-theft, defensive driver, driver training, and vehicle fuel type.
- American Family may include discounts for air bags, accident-free, early bird, bundled insurance, good student, multi-vehicle, and good driver.
- Progressive may offer discounts for continuous coverage, good student, online quote discount, online signing, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and homeowner.
- Travelers has discounts for new car, multi-policy, home ownership, continuous insurance, and early quote.
- Farmers Insurance policyholders can earn discounts including electronic funds transfer, distant student, business and professional, alternative fuel, bundle discounts, and pay in full.
- USAA may have discounts that include multi-policy, defensive driver, multi-vehicle, safe driver, annual mileage, and driver training.
- Liberty Mutual includes discounts for multi-car, newly married, newly retired, new graduate, and good student.
Before you buy a policy, ask each company or agent how you can save money. Some discounts might not be offered in Raleigh. To choose companies who offer discounts in Raleigh, click here.
The information displayed next outlines estimates of insurance rates for Chevy Silverado models. Learning more about how insurance policy rates are established is important for making smart choices when comparing insurance rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Silverado LS Regular Cab 2WD||$134||$248||$340||$20||$102||$844||$70|
|Silverado LS Regular Cab 4WD||$134||$248||$302||$18||$90||$792||$66|
|Silverado LT Regular Cab 2WD||$154||$300||$340||$20||$102||$916||$76|
|Silverado LT Regular Cab||$154||$300||$340||$20||$102||$916||$76|
|Silverado LS Extended Cab 4WD||$154||$300||$302||$18||$90||$864||$72|
|Silverado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$154||$300||$302||$18||$90||$864||$72|
|Silverado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$154||$300||$340||$20||$102||$916||$76|
|Silverado LS Extended Cab 2WD||$154||$300||$340||$20||$102||$916||$76|
|Silverado LT Crew Cab 4WD||$174||$354||$302||$18||$90||$938||$78|
|Silverado LS Crew Cab 2WD||$174||$354||$340||$20||$102||$990||$83|
|Silverado LS Crew Cab 4WD||$174||$354||$302||$18||$90||$938||$78|
|Silverado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$174||$354||$340||$20||$102||$990||$83|
|Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 2WD||$174||$354||$340||$20||$102||$990||$83|
|Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 4WD||$174||$354||$302||$18||$90||$938||$78|
|Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 2WD||$174||$354||$340||$20||$102||$990||$83|
|Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 4WD||$174||$354||$302||$18||$90||$938||$78|
|Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 2WD||$174||$408||$302||$18||$90||$992||$83|
|Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 4WD||$192||$408||$302||$18||$90||$1,010||$84|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes single male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and North Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and homeowner. Price information does not factor in specific zip code location which can increase or decrease coverage prices significantly.
The diagram below illustrates how choosing a deductible and can affect Chevy Silverado insurance prices for each different age group. The premiums assume a single female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Accidents and violations increase rates
The example below highlights how speeding tickets and accident claims raise Chevy Silverado annual premium costs for different age categories. The premiums assume a married female driver, full coverage, $250 deductibles, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Cost of full coverage in Raleigh
The chart below visualizes the comparison of Chevy Silverado auto insurance costs with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying liability only. The information is based on a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no additional discounts are factored in.
When to switch to liability coverage only
There is no exact formula to eliminate full coverage, but there is a general convention. If the yearly cost of comp and collision coverage is 10% or more of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
For example, let’s say your Chevy Silverado settlement value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most your company will settle for is $7,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If it’s costing in excess of $700 a year for comprehensive and collision coverage, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
There are some circumstances where removing full coverage is not advised. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you have to maintain full coverage to satisfy the loan requirements. Also, if your savings is not enough to buy a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should maintain full coverage.
Raleigh Insurance Premiums are Influenced by These Factors
A large part of saving on car insurance is knowing the different types of things that aid in calculating the rates you pay for car insurance. If you have a feel for what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this enables informed choices that can help you get big savings.
The itemized list below are some of the things used by insurance companies to determine your prices.
- Safer cars are cheaper to insure – Vehicles that have high safety ratings tend to be cheaper to insure. Vehicles built for safety reduce the chance of injuries and reduced instances of injuries translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and more competitive rates for policyholders.
- Your career may increase rates – Did you know that where you work can have an impact on rates? Occupations such as judges, business owners, and accountants generally pay the highest rates due to intense work requirements and lots of time spent at work. Other jobs such as actors, engineers and performers pay the least.
High performance equals high premiums – The performance level of the car, truck or SUV you need insurance for makes a huge difference in the rate you pay. Smaller low performance passenger vehicles receive the most favorable rates, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
The following chart assumes a single female driver age 40, full coverage with $1000 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. It shows Chevrolet Silverado insurance premiums compared to other models of vehicles that have different performance risks.
- Save money with higher coverage deductibles – Physical damage protection, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, covers damage that occurs to your Chevy. Some examples of covered claims would be a windshield shattered by a rock, hitting a deer, and burglary. Physical damage deductibles are the amount of money the insured will be required to pay before your car insurance pays a claim. The more expense you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the lower your rates will be.
- Urban areas may pay more – Having an address in a rural area is a good thing when insuring your vehicles. Fewer drivers on the road means fewer accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft. Urban drivers have to deal with more road rage incidents and higher rates of accident claims. Spending more time driving means more chance of being in an accident.
Gender and car insurance rates – Over the last 30 years, statistics show that females tend to be a little less risky than males. The data does not necessarily mean that women are better drivers. Males and females get in fender benders at about the same rate, but the men tend to have more serious accidents. Men also statistically get cited for more serious violations like driving under the influence (DUI).
The chart below shows the comparison of Chevy Silverado annual premium costs for male and female drivers. The rate quotes are based on a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, full coverage, $500 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are applied.
Chevy Silverado insurance claim data – Insurers take into consideration historical loss data for every vehicle to calculate a price that will offset losses. Vehicles that are shown to have higher frequency or amount of claims will have a higher cost to insure. The next table shows the compiled insurance loss statistics for Chevy Silverado vehicles.
For each type of coverage, the claim probability for all vehicles, regardless of make or model, is considered to be 100. Percentage values below 100 are indicative of better than average losses, while percentage numbers above 100 indicate higher probability of having a loss or a tendency for claims to be larger.
Car Insurance Loss Data for Chevrolet Silverado Models Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2WD 76 118 85 78 69 125 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4WD 60 76 72 54 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 2WD 89 103 131 77 70 94 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4WD 96 105 116 57 57 87 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 2WD 90 126 100 88 85 117 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 4WD 84 98 89 60 60 88 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 2WD 60 65 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 4WD 66 97 66 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 2WD 76 127 65 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4WD 88 114 97 45 42 82 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Ext Cab 2WD 80 54 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Ext Cab 4WD 79 105 83 37 43 75 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 4WD 65 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Crew Cab 4WD 98 127 108 54 39 76 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Ext Cab 4WD 129 127BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Buying insurance from Raleigh auto insurance agents
Many drivers just want to go talk to an agent and that is just fine! A good thing about comparing insurance prices online is the fact that drivers can get cheap insurance rates but also keep your business local.
After filling out this short form, your insurance data is immediately sent to agents in your area that give free quotes for your business. You never need to contact an agency because prices are sent immediately to you. You can find lower rates AND an agent nearby. In the event you want to quote rates from a specific insurance provider, you would need to search and find their rate quote page and fill out their quote form.
Selecting an insurance company is decision based upon more than just the price. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- Are they involved in claim handling?
- What insurance companies do they work with in Raleigh?
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
- Is there a Errors and Omissions policy in force?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies in Raleigh?
- Are they actively involved in the community?
Exclusive agents vs. Independent agents
If you prefer to buy insurance from an insurance agent, it’s important to understand the different agency structures and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Raleigh agents can either be independent or exclusive.
These type of agents normally can only provide a single company’s rates and some examples include Allstate, State Farm and Farm Bureau. These agents are not able to place coverage with different providers so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive agents are well schooled on their products and sales techniques which helps offset the inability to provide other markets.
The following are Raleigh exclusive insurance agents who can help you get comparison quotes.
Independent insurance agents often have affiliation with several companies and that gives them the ability to insure amongst many companies and find you the best rates. To move your coverage to a new company, they simply switch companies in-house without you having to go to a different agency. When comparing rate quotes, you will definitely want to get rate quotes from multiple independent agents to maximize your price options.
Listed below are Raleigh independent insurance agents that can give you price quotes.
Independent Insurance Agents of North Carolina Inc
101 Weston Oaks Ct – Cary, NC 27513 – (919) 828-4371 – View Map
After receiving good feedback to these questions as well as offering an affordable quote, most likely you have located an insurance agent that is reliable enough to insure your vehicles.
Do the work, save more money
We just showed you a lot of techniques to get a better price on Chevy Silverado insurance in Raleigh. The key concept to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the better chance you’ll have of finding low cost Raleigh car insurance quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the best rates are with some of the smallest insurance companies. Regional companies may often insure only within specific states and give better rates than their larger competitors like Progressive and GEICO.
Cheaper Chevy Silverado insurance in Raleigh is definitely available on the web and also from your neighborhood Raleigh agents, so get free Raleigh car insurance quotes from both of them to have the best rate selection. Some companies may not offer the ability to get a quote online and these small, regional companies only sell coverage through independent agents.
As you restructure your insurance plan, never skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In many instances, someone sacrificed comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to find out they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your goal is to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest price, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Steps to buying lower priced Chevy Silverado insurance in Raleigh
If you want to save money, the best way to find the cheapest price for auto insurance rates in Raleigh is to annually compare prices from insurance carriers who can sell car insurance in North Carolina.
- Get a basic knowledge of the coverage provided by your policy and the measures you can take to drop your rates. Many risk factors that are responsible for high rates such as accidents, traffic violations, and a not-so-good credit rating can be improved by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
- Get rate quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can provide rates from one company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agents can quote rates from multiple insurance companies.
- Compare the price quotes to your existing policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find a lower rate and make a switch, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
The key thing to remember is that you’ll want to compare the same liability limits and deductibles on each price quote and to quote with as many companies as possible. Doing this ensures an apples-to-apples comparison and a complete price analysis.
- Car Insurance for Teen Drivers with Divorced Parents (Allstate)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Inexperienced Drivers in Raleigh? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Raleigh Car Insurance for a Dodge Journey? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Raleigh Auto Insurance Quotes for Electric Cars? (FAQ)
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Understanding Limits and Deductibles (Allstate)
- Vehicle Safety Ratings (iihs.org)
- Alcohol Impaired Driving FAQ (iihs.org)