Tired of being strong-armed to keep your car insured? You are in the same boat as most other consumers in North Carolina.
We don’t have to point out that fact that car insurance companies don’t want their policyholders to compare prices. Drivers who shop around for cheaper rates will most likely buy a new policy because they stand a good chance of finding a more affordable policy. A recent survey revealed that people who routinely compared rates saved as much as $70 a month compared to people who don’t make a habit of comparing rates.
If finding the cheapest price on car insurance is your ultimate goal, then learning a little about the best ways to shop for cheaper coverage can help you succeed in saving money. Big-name insurance companies like State Farm, Farmers Insurance, GEICO and Allstate all promote huge savings with fancy advertisements and it can be hard to ignore the propaganda and find the best price available.
The companies shown below offer free quotes in North Carolina. If you want cheap auto insurance in North Carolina, we suggest you visit two to three different companies to find the most affordable auto insurance rates.
Audi A5 insurance charts and tables
The coverage table shown next outlines estimates of insurance rates for Audi A5 models. Learning more about how insurance quotes are established can assist in making informed coverage decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|A5 2.0T Quattro Premium 2-Dr Coupe||$238||$506||$256||$16||$76||$1,092||$91|
|A5 2.0T Quattro Premium Plus 2-Dr Coupe||$238||$506||$256||$16||$76||$1,092||$91|
|A5 3.2 Quattro Prestige 2-Dr Coupe||$238||$572||$256||$16||$76||$1,158||$97|
|A5 3.2 Quattro Premium Plus 2-Dr Coupe||$238||$572||$256||$16||$76||$1,158||$97|
|A5 2.0T Quattro Prestige 2-Dr Coupe||$238||$572||$256||$16||$76||$1,158||$97|
|A5 2.0T Premium 2-Dr Convertible||$238||$572||$302||$18||$90||$1,220||$102|
|A5 2.0T Premium Plus 2-Dr Convertible||$238||$572||$302||$18||$90||$1,220||$102|
|A5 2.0T Quattro Prestige S-Line 2-Dr Coupe||$262||$572||$256||$16||$76||$1,182||$99|
|A5 2.0T Prestige S-Line 2-Dr Convertible||$262||$572||$302||$18||$90||$1,244||$104|
|A5 2.0T Prestige 2-Dr Convertible||$262||$572||$302||$18||$90||$1,244||$104|
|A5 3.2 Quattro Prestige S-Line 2-Dr Coupe||$262||$638||$256||$16||$76||$1,248||$104|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on single male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and North Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, safe-driver, homeowner, multi-policy, and claim-free. Prices do not factor in vehicle garaging location which can revise price quotes greatly.
Higher deductibles save money
The hardest decision when buying coverage is which deductible level should you buy. The figures shown below show the price difference between low and high insurance deductibles. The first rate comparisons uses a $100 physical damage coverage deductible and the second pricing table uses a $500 deductible.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|A5 2.0T Quattro Premium 2-Dr Coupe||$270||$524||$212||$12||$64||$1,107||$92|
|A5 2.0T Quattro Premium Plus 2-Dr Coupe||$270||$524||$212||$12||$64||$1,107||$92|
|A5 3.2 Quattro Prestige 2-Dr Coupe||$270||$594||$212||$12||$64||$1,177||$98|
|A5 3.2 Quattro Premium Plus 2-Dr Coupe||$270||$594||$212||$12||$64||$1,177||$98|
|A5 2.0T Quattro Prestige 2-Dr Coupe||$270||$594||$212||$12||$64||$1,177||$98|
|A5 2.0T Premium 2-Dr Convertible||$270||$594||$250||$14||$74||$1,227||$102|
|A5 2.0T Premium Plus 2-Dr Convertible||$270||$594||$250||$14||$74||$1,227||$102|
|A5 2.0T Quattro Prestige S-Line 2-Dr Coupe||$298||$594||$212||$12||$64||$1,205||$100|
|A5 2.0T Prestige S-Line 2-Dr Convertible||$298||$594||$250||$14||$74||$1,255||$105|
|A5 2.0T Prestige 2-Dr Convertible||$298||$594||$250||$14||$74||$1,255||$105|
|A5 3.2 Quattro Prestige S-Line 2-Dr Coupe||$298||$662||$212||$12||$64||$1,273||$106|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|A5 2.0T Quattro Premium 2-Dr Coupe||$196||$354||$212||$12||$64||$838||$70|
|A5 2.0T Quattro Premium Plus 2-Dr Coupe||$196||$354||$212||$12||$64||$838||$70|
|A5 3.2 Quattro Prestige 2-Dr Coupe||$196||$402||$212||$12||$64||$886||$74|
|A5 3.2 Quattro Premium Plus 2-Dr Coupe||$196||$402||$212||$12||$64||$886||$74|
|A5 2.0T Quattro Prestige 2-Dr Coupe||$196||$402||$212||$12||$64||$886||$74|
|A5 2.0T Premium 2-Dr Convertible||$196||$402||$250||$14||$74||$936||$78|
|A5 2.0T Premium Plus 2-Dr Convertible||$196||$402||$250||$14||$74||$936||$78|
|A5 2.0T Quattro Prestige S-Line 2-Dr Coupe||$216||$402||$212||$12||$64||$906||$76|
|A5 2.0T Prestige S-Line 2-Dr Convertible||$216||$402||$250||$14||$74||$956||$80|
|A5 2.0T Prestige 2-Dr Convertible||$216||$402||$250||$14||$74||$956||$80|
|A5 3.2 Quattro Prestige S-Line 2-Dr Coupe||$216||$448||$212||$12||$64||$952||$79|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and North Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, multi-vehicle, claim-free, homeowner, and safe-driver. Table data does not factor in zip code location which can decrease or increase price quotes considerably.
Based on the figures above, using a $100 deductible will cost you about $24 more each month or $288 each year averaged for all A5 models than choosing the higher $500 deductible. Since you would have to pay $400 more if you file a claim with a $500 deductible as compared to a $100 deductible, if you go at least 17 months between claim filings, you would probably save some money if you opt for a higher deductible. The illustration below shows the way you can come to your own conclusion.
|Average monthly premium for $100 deductibles:||$100|
|Average monthly premium for $500 deductibles (subtract):||– $76|
|Monthly savings from raising deductible:||$24|
|Difference between deductibles ($500 – $100):||$400|
|Divide difference by monthly savings:||$400 / $24|
|Number of months required between physical damage coverage claims in order to save money by choosing the higher deductible||17 months|
The illustration below demonstrates how deductible levels and can increase or decrease Audi A5 premium costs for different age groups. The prices are based on a single female driver, full physical damage coverage, and no discounts are applied.
Cost of full coverage in Raleigh
The information below illustrates the comparison of Audi A5 auto insurance rates when comparing full coverage to state minimum liability only. Data assumes no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are applied.
When to stop buying full coverage
There is no set guideline that is best for determining when to drop full coverage, but there is a guideline you can use. If the yearly cost of comp and collision coverage is more than about 10% of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
For example, let’s pretend your Audi A5 claim settlement value is $9,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most you would receive is $8,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If you are currently paying more than $800 a year for your policy with full coverage, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
There are some circumstances where only buying liability is not recommended. If you haven’t satisfied your loan, you are required to maintain full coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should not remove full coverage.
Choosing Audi A5 insurance is an important decision
Despite the fact that insurance is not cheap in Raleigh, paying for insurance is required for several reasons.
- Almost all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require specific minimum amounts of liability insurance coverage in order to get the vehicle licensed. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your A5, most lenders will have a requirement that you have insurance to guarantee payment of the loan. If you default on your policy, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Audi at a more expensive rate and require you to pay for it.
- Insurance protects your Audi A5 and your assets. It will also reimburse you for hospital and medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay to defend you if you are sued as the result of your driving. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, your policy will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver is currently overpaying as much as $700 annually so compare rates every year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Discounts can help lower rates on Audi A5 insurance in Raleigh
Companies offering auto insurance don’t list all discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so the next list breaks down a few of the more common and the harder-to-find credits that may apply to you.
- Senior Discount – Drivers that qualify as senior citizens can possibly qualify for reduced rates.
- Home Ownership Discount – Just owning your own home can get you a discount due to the fact that maintaining a home requires a higher level of personal finance.
- Pay Early and Save – If you can afford to pay the entire bill rather than paying monthly you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Paperless Signup – A few larger companies provide a small discount for signing up on your computer.
- Claim-Free Discount – Insureds with no claims or accidents get the best auto insurance rates as compared to drivers who are more careless.
- Discount for Good Grades – Getting good grades can save 20 to 25%. The good student discount can last up to age 25.
- Drive Safe and Save – Safe drivers may receive a discount up to 45% compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- Professional Organizations – Being a member of a professional or civic organization could qualify you for a break on your policy.
Don’t be shocked that some of the credits will not apply to the entire cost. Most only apply to specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. If you do the math and it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, it’s just not the way it works.
The information below visualizes the comparison of Audi A5 insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the rates. The data is based on a female driver, no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, North Carolina state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with claim-free, homeowner, safe-driver, multi-policy, multi-car, and marriage discounts applied.
A few popular companies and some of the premium reductions they offer can be read below.
- GEICO has savings for emergency military deployment, good student, air bags, defensive driver, seat belt use, membership and employees, and daytime running lights.
- Auto-Owners Insurance includes discounts for paperless, anti-lock brakes, safe driver, multi-policy, and mature driver.
- American Family policyholders can earn discounts including TimeAway discount, bundled insurance, accident-free, multi-vehicle, air bags, and good student.
- Esurance offers discounts for online quote, good driver, Switch & Save, online shopper, anti-theft, and anti-lock brakes.
- Progressive offers discounts including online signing, continuous coverage, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and good student.
- State Farm has discounts for accident-free, passive restraint, defensive driving training, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and student away at school.
- AAA may offer discounts for pay-in-full, AAA membership discount, good driver, education and occupation, multi-car, anti-theft, and good student.
When comparing rates, check with each company to give you their best rates. Savings may not apply to policyholders everywhere. If you would like to choose from a list of insurance companies who offer cheap Audi A5 insurance quotes in North Carolina, follow this link.
Do I need special coverages?
When selecting coverage online or from an agent for your personal vehicles, there is no “best” method to buy coverage. Everyone’s situation is unique so this has to be addressed.
For example, these questions might help in determining whether you could use an agent’s help.
- When should my teen driver be added to my policy?
- Which companies will insure high-risk drivers?
- Do I pay less for low miles?
- If I drive on a suspended license am I covered?
- Do I have coverage when using my vehicle for my home business?
- Do I need to file an SR-22 for a DUI in North Carolina?
- When should I not file a claim?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area. It’s fast, free and you can get the answers you need.
Local agents and car insurance
A lot of people just prefer to have an agent’s advice and that is a smart decision Experienced insurance agents can help determine the best coverages and help file insurance claims. One of the benefits of comparing insurance prices online is you may find better rates and still have an agent to talk to.
After completing this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is emailed to participating agents in Raleigh who will give competitive quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You won’t need to do any legwork since rate quotes are delivered directly to your email. In the event you want to quote rates from a particular provider, you can always find their quoting web page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Deciding on an company needs to be determined by more than just the quoted price. Any agent in Raleigh should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- Do they write coverage based solely on cost?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- How long has their agency been in business in Raleigh?
When narrowing the list to find an insurance agent, you need to know there are two types of insurance agents to choose from. Car insurance agents can either be exclusive or independent (non-exclusive). Either one can write policy coverage, but it’s important to know the difference between them since it can impact the selection process.
Agents of this type can usually just insure with one company like AAA, Allstate, State Farm, or Farmers Insurance. They generally cannot compare other company’s rates so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. Exclusive agents are well trained on their company’s products and that can be a competitive advantage.
Below are exclusive insurance agents in Raleigh who can help you get price quote information.
Independent Car Insurance Agencies
Independent insurance agents do not work for one specific company so they can write business with many different companies and get you the best rates possible. If your agent finds better pricing, your agent can switch companies and you don’t have to do anything. When comparison shopping, we recommend you get insurance quotes from at least one independent agent so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare.
Shown below are independent agencies in Raleigh that can give you price quotes.
After getting answers to your satisfaction to your questions and a good coverage price, you’ve probably found an insurance agent that can be relied on to insure your vehicles. Keep in mind you can always cancel a policy whenever you choose to so don’t assume that you’re stuck with any particular company for the full term.
What car insurance coverages do you need?
Knowing the specifics of your car insurance policy helps when choosing which coverages you need for your vehicles. The coverage terms in a policy can be difficult to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring. Shown next are the normal coverages offered by car insurance companies.
This coverage will pay to fix damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You need to pay your deductible first and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims such as hail damage, theft and damage from getting keyed. The maximum payout your car insurance company will pay is the ACV or actual cash value, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Uninsured and underinsured coverage
Your UM/UIM coverage provides protection from other motorists when they do not carry enough liability coverage. This coverage pays for injuries to you and your family as well as damage to your Audi A5.
Due to the fact that many North Carolina drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (which is 30/60/25), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is important protection for you and your family.
This coverage will pay to fix damage to your A5 from colliding with another car or object. You have to pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision can pay for things such as crashing into a building, scraping a guard rail, driving through your garage door, damaging your car on a curb and sustaining damage from a pot hole. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from older vehicles. Drivers also have the option to raise the deductible on your A5 in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Coverage for medical payments
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance kick in for expenses for things like pain medications, ambulance fees, surgery, doctor visits and chiropractic care. They are often used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance program or if you lack health insurance entirely. It covers you and your occupants in addition to any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is not available in all states and may carry a deductible
Auto liability insurance
This coverage can cover damage that occurs to a person or their property by causing an accident. Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You commonly see liability limits of 30/60/25 which stand for $30,000 bodily injury coverage, a limit of $60,000 in injury protection per accident, and $25,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability coverage pays for claims such as emergency aid, repair costs for stationary objects and court costs. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is up to you, but consider buying as large an amount as possible. North Carolina state minimum liability requirements are 30/60/25 but drivers should carry more liability than the minimum.
The next chart demonstrates why the minimum limit may not be high enough to cover claims.
Best auto insurance in North Carolina
Ending up with the top auto insurance provider can be difficult considering how many companies there are in Raleigh. The rank data below may help you pick which car insurance companies you want to consider buying from.
Top 10 Raleigh Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Value
- Mercury Insurance
- American Family
- AAA Insurance
- Safeco Insurance
- The Hartford
- The General
- 21st Century
How much can you save?
Throughout this article, we presented many ways to save on Audi A5 insurance in Raleigh. The key thing to remember is the more price quotes you have, the better chance you’ll have of finding the cheapest Audi A5 rate quotes. Consumers could even find that the best premium rates are with the smaller companies. These smaller insurers can often provide lower prices in certain areas as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate and Progressive.
While you’re price shopping online, do not buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many situations where consumers will sacrifice collision coverage only to regret that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your objective should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at an affordable rate, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
Low-cost Audi A5 insurance in Raleigh is available on the web in addition to local insurance agencies, and you need to price shop both so you have a total pricing picture. Some insurance providers don’t offer the ability to get a quote online and these small insurance companies only sell coverage through independent agents.
How to find better rates for Audi A5 insurance in Raleigh
Really, the only way to get budget Audi A5 insurance is to do an annual price comparison from insurance carriers who provide car insurance in Raleigh.
- First, try to understand how insurance companies determine prices and the things you can change to prevent high rates. Many rating criteria that result in higher rates like traffic tickets, fender benders, and an unacceptable credit score can be eliminated by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
- Second, request price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only give rate quotes from a single company like GEICO and Allstate, while agents who are independent can give you price quotes for many different companies.
- Third, compare the price quotes to your existing rates to see if a cheaper rate is available. If you find a lower rate quote and buy the policy, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Fourth, provide proper notification to your current company of your intention to cancel your current car insurance policy. Submit payment along with a signed and completed policy application for the new coverage. Once the paperwork is finalized, keep the new certificate of insurance in a readily accessible location in your vehicle.
A key point to remember is to try to use similar limits and deductibles on each price quote and and to get rate quotes from every insurance company. This enables a level playing field and a complete selection of prices.
More tips and info about car insurance is located in these articles:
- Should I Purchase an Umbrella Liability Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much is Raleigh Auto Insurance for Safe Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for a Ford Focus in Raleigh? (FAQ)
- How Much are Raleigh Car Insurance Rates for Young Drivers? (FAQ)
- How to Avoid Buying a Flooded Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- Car Insurance: When not to Skimp (BankRate.com)