The recommended way to find the cheapest price for car insurance rates in Raleigh is to do an annual price comparison from providers who sell insurance in North Carolina. You can shop around by following these guidelines.
- First, spend a few minutes and learn about how companies price auto insurance and the measures you can control to prevent rate increases. Many things that result in higher prices like speeding tickets, accidents and a bad credit rating can be improved by making minor changes in your lifestyle. This article gives additional tips to keep prices down and find more discounts that you may not know about.
- Second, quote rates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct and exclusive agents can only give rate quotes from one company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agents can provide price quotes for a wide range of insurance providers. View companies
- Third, compare the quotes to your current policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find a lower rate quote and buy the policy, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Fourth, notify your company or agent to cancel your current policy. Submit the completed application along with a down payment for your new policy. Make sure you keep the new certificate verifying proof of insurance somewhere easily accessible.
A good piece of advice is that you use identical deductibles and limits on every quote request and and to get price quotes from every insurance company. Doing this helps ensure a level playing field and the most accurate and complete price analysis.
It’s a known fact that auto insurance companies don’t want you to compare rates. Consumers who shop around for the cheapest rate will, in all likelihood, buy a new policy because there is a high probability of finding better rates. A study showed that drivers who made a habit of comparing rate quotes saved $865 a year compared to those who never compared other company’s rates.
If finding the cheapest price for Chevy Silverado 2500HD insurance in Raleigh is your goal, learning how to find and compare coverage rates can make shopping around easier.
The majority of larger companies like Allstate and Progressive make it easy to get insurance quotes direct online. Getting quotes for Chevy Silverado 2500HD insurance in Raleigh is possible for anyone because it’s just a matter of typing in the coverage amounts you desire on the page. When the form is submitted, the company’s rating system requests your driving record and credit report and generates a price.
Getting online quotes for Chevy Silverado 2500HD insurance in Raleigh simplifies rate comparisons, and it is imperative to do this if you want to get the cheapest price on insurance.
To find out how much you can save on insurance, take a look at the companies shown below. To compare your current rates, we recommend that you enter the insurance coverages exactly as they are listed on your policy. Doing this guarantees you will receive an apples-to-apples comparison for exact coverage.
The companies in the list below have been selected to offer quotes in North Carolina. To find cheap car insurance in North Carolina, we recommend you compare several of them to find the lowest auto insurance rates.
Chevy Silverado 2500HD insurance coverage information
The rate table below covers detailed analysis of insurance coverage prices for Chevy Silverado 2500HD models. Having a better idea how insurance policy premiums are established can be valuable when making decisions when shopping around.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Silverado 2500HD LT Crew Cab 4WD||$138||$262||$240||$14||$72||$726||$61|
|Silverado 2500HD LT Crew Cab 2WD||$138||$302||$270||$16||$80||$806||$67|
|Silverado 2500HD LTZ Crew Cab 4WD||$138||$262||$240||$14||$72||$726||$61|
|Silverado 2500HD LT Crew Cab Diesel 4WD||$154||$302||$240||$14||$72||$782||$65|
|Silverado 2500HD LT Crew Cab Diesel 2WD||$154||$302||$270||$16||$80||$822||$69|
|Silverado 2500HD LT Extended Cab Diesel 2WD||$154||$302||$270||$16||$80||$822||$69|
|Silverado 2500HD LTZ Crew Cab 2WD||$154||$302||$270||$16||$80||$822||$69|
|Silverado 2500HD LTZ Crew Cab Diesel 4WD||$154||$302||$240||$14||$72||$782||$65|
|Silverado 2500HD LTZ Crew Cab Diesel 2WD||$154||$342||$270||$16||$80||$862||$72|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and North Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, safe-driver, claim-free, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy. Premium costs do not factor in specific zip code location which can modify price quotes considerably.
Gender-based insurance rates
The information below shows the comparison of Chevy Silverado 2500HD insurance prices for male and female drivers. Data assumes no claims or driving citations, full physical damage coverage, $1,000 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are factored in.
Price comparison of only insuring for liability
The illustration below illustrates the difference between Chevy Silverado 2500HD insurance prices with and without full coverage. The rates are based on no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, drivers are single, and no additional discounts are factored in.
When to eliminate full coverage
There is no exact formula to stop paying for physical damage insurance, but there is a general convention. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is more than about 10% of the vehicle’s replacement cost less your deductible, then it may be the right time to buy liability only.
For example, let’s pretend your Chevy Silverado 2500HD replacement value is $7,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most you would receive is $6,000 after paying your deductible. If you are paying more than $600 a year for your policy with full coverage, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
There are some circumstances where eliminating full coverage is not a good plan. If you haven’t satisfied your loan, you must maintain physical damage coverage as part of the loan requirements. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should not drop full coverage.
You may qualify for discounts for Chevy Silverado 2500HD insurance in Raleigh
Car insurance companies do not list their entire list of discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we break down a few of the more well known in addition to some of the lesser obvious discounts that you may qualify for.
- Membership in Organizations – Having an affiliation with a qualifying organization can get you a small discount when shopping for insurance.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Vehicles with factory air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems could see savings of more than 20%.
- Own a Home and Save – Owning your own home or condo can save you money because owning a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Onboard Data Collection – Drivers that enable data collection to spy on when and where they use their vehicle by using a telematics device such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate’s Drivewise system could save a few bucks if they show good driving skills.
- Multi-line Discount – Larger insurance companies have a break if you buy some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
A little disclaimer on discounts, some credits don’t apply to the whole policy. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. So even though it sounds like you could get a free insurance policy, insurance companies aren’t that generous.
The chart below visualizes the comparison of Chevy Silverado 2500HD auto insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the premium. The data is based on a female driver, no violations or claims, North Carolina state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-car, safe-driver, multi-policy, marriage, homeowner, and claim-free discounts applied.
A few of the larger companies and the discounts they provide are outlined below.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including online quote discount, continuous coverage, multi-policy, homeowner, multi-vehicle, and online signing.
- AAA may have discounts that include AAA membership discount, anti-theft, good driver, multi-car, multi-policy, good student, and education and occupation.
- Farmers Insurance may offer discounts for good student, business and professional, alternative fuel, homeowner, and switch companies.
- GEICO discounts include defensive driver, military active duty, anti-lock brakes, federal employee, multi-vehicle, and seat belt use.
- Esurance offers premium reductions for online quote, paid-in-full, emergency road assistance, good student, anti-theft, defensive driver, and claim free.
- SAFECO offers discounts including teen safe driver, anti-lock brakes, bundle discounts, multi-car, safe driver, and homeowner.
- State Farm may include discounts for safe vehicle, passive restraint, Steer Clear safe driver discount, multiple autos, multiple policy, accident-free, and defensive driving training.
Double check with every company which discounts you qualify for. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not apply to policyholders in every state. If you would like to view insurance companies with the best discounts in Raleigh, click here to view.
It may be expensive, but it’s not optional
Despite the fact that insurance is not cheap in Raleigh, insuring your vehicle is required for several reasons.
- The majority of states have minimum liability requirements which means the state requires specific minimum amounts of liability if you drive a vehicle. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Chevy Silverado 2500HD, it’s most likely the lender will require that you carry insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the lender may insure your Chevy for a lot more money and require you to fork over for the expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards both your car and your assets. It will also cover medical transport and hospital expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are sued as the result of an accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, your insurance policy will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, especially if you ever need it. On average, a vehicle owner in Raleigh overpays as much as $855 a year so compare quotes from several companies once a year at a minimum to ensure rates are inline.
How to find a good North Carolina car insurance company
Ending up with the highest-rated company can be a challenge considering how many choices you have in Raleigh. The company ratings below can help you select which car insurance companies you want to consider comparing rates from.
Top 10 Raleigh Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Value
- Mercury Insurance
- American Family
- AAA Insurance
- Safeco Insurance
- The Hartford
- The General
- 21st Century
Top 10 Raleigh Car Insurance Companies by A.M. Best Rank
- Travelers – A++
- USAA – A++
- GEICO – A++
- State Farm – A++
- Titan Insurance – A+
- Esurance – A+
- Progressive – A+
- The Hartford – A+
- Allstate – A+
- Nationwide – A+
How to know if you need help
Always keep in mind that when comparing the right insurance coverage, there really is no best way to insure your cars. You are unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help you determine if you might need professional guidance.
- Does my insurance cover a custom paint job?
- Do I need PIP (personal injury protection) coverage in North Carolina?
- How many claims can I have before being canceled?
- What is the rate difference between pleasure use and commuting?
- Do I have coverage if my license is suspended?
- Should I buy full coverage?
- Is my dog or cat covered if injured in an accident?
If you’re not sure about those questions but a few of them apply, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form. It is quick, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Do I need a local insurance agent?
A lot of people would rather have an agent’s advice and often times that is recommended Insurance agents can make sure you are properly covered and give you someone to call. One of the best bonuses of getting online price quotes is you may find cheap car insurance quotes and also buy local. And buying from neighborhood insurance agencies is important particularly in Raleigh.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), the quote information gets sent to local insurance agents in Raleigh who want to provide quotes to get your business. There is no reason to find an agent since price quotes are sent to you. If you wish to get a rate quote for a specific company, feel free to jump over to their website and fill out their quote form.
Raleigh auto insurance agents come in two flavors
If you are searching for a reputable insurance agent or broker, it can be helpful to understand the types of insurance agents and how they can service your needs differently. Agents in Raleigh are categorized either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer. Both can insure your vehicles, but it is important to understand the differences because it can influence your selection of an agent.
These agents are not employed by any specific company so they can write business with lots of companies and find you cheaper rates. If your premiums go up, they simply switch companies in-house which requires no work on your part.
When comparing rates, we recommend you include price quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to get the most accurate price comparison. Most have the option of insuring with smaller mutual companies which can be an advantage.
Featured below is a partial list of independent agents in Raleigh that may be able to provide comparison quotes.
- Bagwell and Bagwell Insurance
2626 Glenwood Ave #300 – Raleigh, NC 27608 – (919) 832-6667 – View Map
- Protective Agency
2026 New Bern Ave – Raleigh, NC 27610 – (919) 231-2281 – View Map
- Nationwide Insurance: Michael E Okoli Agency Inc
309 W Millbrook Rd #151 – Raleigh, NC 27609 – (919) 786-1960 – View Map
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
These type of agents can only provide pricing for a single company such as Farmers Insurance, State Farm, Allstate, and AAA. Exclusive agencies are unable to provide other company’s prices so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agencies are well trained in insurance sales which helps them compete with independent agents. Some insured continue to use the same agent mostly because of loyalty to the company and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Shown below are exclusive agents in Raleigh that are able to give price quote information.
- Allstate Insurance: Lauri W. Fair
9101 Leesville Rd Ste 111 – Raleigh, NC 27613 – (919) 846-3901 – View Map
- Doug Wingate – State Farm Insurance Agent
2414 Wycliff Rd #110 – Raleigh, NC 27607 – (919) 787-0888 – View Map
- Tom Patterson – State Farm Insurance Agent
805 Spring Forest Rd #1400 – Raleigh, NC 27609 – (919) 954-1340 – View Map
Choosing an insurance agency should depend on more than just a low price. Here are some questions you might want to ask.
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
- Is the agent properly licensed in North Carolina?
- Is the agency active in community causes in Raleigh?
- How experienced are they in personal risk management?
- Is vehicle damage repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
- How will an accident affect your rates?
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
After talking to the agent and getting positive feedback to your questions as well as an affordable premium quote, you’ve probably found a car insurance agent that can properly insure your vehicles. Keep in mind you can cancel coverage whenever you choose to so don’t think that you are obligated to any particular company with no way out.
Auto insurance coverage information
Learning about specific coverages of your policy can be of help when determining which coverages you need and the correct deductibles and limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be ambiguous and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
Coverage for collisions
Collision coverage will pay to fix damage to your Silverado 2500HD resulting from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You will need to pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage pays for claims such as driving through your garage door, damaging your car on a curb, colliding with another moving vehicle, scraping a guard rail and backing into a parked car. This coverage can be expensive, so consider removing coverage from vehicles that are 8 years or older. Another option is to bump up the deductible on your Silverado 2500HD to get cheaper collision coverage.
Medical payments coverage and PIP
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP kick in for short-term medical expenses like ambulance fees, X-ray expenses, funeral costs and prosthetic devices. They are utilized in addition to your health insurance plan or if you lack health insurance entirely. They cover both the driver and occupants in addition to getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal Injury Protection is not universally available and may carry a deductible
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage
Your UM/UIM coverage provides protection from other motorists when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. This coverage pays for injuries to you and your family as well as damage to your Chevy Silverado 2500HD.
Because many people only carry the minimum required liability limits (North Carolina limits are 30/60/25), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. So UM/UIM coverage should not be overlooked. Frequently the UM/UIM limits are identical to your policy’s liability coverage.
Comprehensive insurance coverage will pay to fix damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You first have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive can pay for claims like falling objects, damage from a tornado or hurricane and damage from flooding. The maximum amount your insurance company will pay is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle’s value is low it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Liability auto insurance
Liability insurance will cover injuries or damage you cause to people or other property by causing an accident. Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You commonly see limits of 30/60/25 that means you have $30,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $60,000, and a limit of $25,000 paid for damaged property. Occasionally you may see one number which is a combined single limit which provides one coverage limit with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability coverage pays for things like structural damage, bail bonds, funeral expenses, court costs and loss of income. How much liability coverage do you need? That is up to you, but consider buying as large an amount as possible. North Carolina state minimum liability requirements are 30/60/25 but you should consider buying more liability than the minimum.
The illustration below demonstrates why buying minimum limits may not be enough.