Searching for cheaper insurance for a new or used Mazda MX-5 Miata in North Carolina can be an all-consuming task, but you can learn our auto insurance buying tips to make it easier. There are both good and bad ways to buy auto insurance so we’re going to tell you the quickest way to quote coverages for your Mazda and locate the cheapest rates either online or from Raleigh insurance agents.
Unfortunately, 70% of consumers have bought auto insurance from the same company for at least the last four years, and nearly half have never taken the time to shop around. With the average premium in North Carolina being $980, drivers could save themselves $94 a year just by comparing rates, but most undervalue the amount of money they would save if they just switched companies.
You should make it a habit to compare rates before your next renewal because insurance prices trend upward over time. Even if you got the best deal on Mazda MX-5 Miata insurance in Raleigh on your last policy you can probably find a lower rate today. Block out anything you think you know about auto insurance because I’m going to let you in on the secrets to the fastest and easiest way to find great coverage at a great price.
The easiest way to compare policy rates for Mazda MX-5 Miata insurance in Raleigh is to know the fact most of the bigger providers participate in a system to compare rate quotes. The only thing you need to do is spend a couple of minutes providing details like deductibles desired, marital status, if you require a SR-22, and driver details. That information is instantly submitted to many highly-rated insurers and you should receive rate quotes instantly.
To check rates for your Mazda MX-5 Miata now, click here and complete the quick form.
The providers in the list below can provide free quotes in Raleigh, NC. If your goal is to find the best auto insurance in NC, it’s highly recommended you visit two to three different companies to get the best price comparison.
Affordable rates by taking advantage of these ten discounts
Companies that sell car insurance don’t always list every possible discount very clearly, so the below list has a few of the more common and the more hidden credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- Government Employees – Being employed by or retired from a federal job could cut as much as 10% off with some car insurance companies.
- College Student – Youth drivers who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Raleigh and don’t have a car may qualify for this discount.
- First Accident Forgiveness – Not really a discount, but a few companies such as Liberty Mutual, GEICO and Allstate will allow you to have one accident without getting socked with a rate hike if you have no claims for a set time period.
- Active Service Discounts – Having a deployed family member may qualify for rate reductions.
- Home Ownership Discount – Owning your own home or condo can earn you a little savings because maintaining a house is proof of financial responsibility.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints – Cars that have air bags or automatic seat belts may earn rate discounts as much as 30%.
- ABS Braking Discount – Cars and trucks that have anti-lock braking systems can avoid accidents so you can save 10 percent or more.
- Multi-car Discount – Drivers who insure several vehicles with one company can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Discounts for Responsible Drivers – Safe drivers may receive a discount up to 45% compared to accident prone drivers.
- Defensive Driver Discounts – Completing a course teaching defensive driver skills could save 5% or more and make you a better driver.
Don’t be surprised that most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. Despite the appearance that you could get a free car insurance policy, companies don’t profit that way.
The information below illustrates the comparison of Mazda MX-5 Miata insurance costs with and without policy discounts. The data is based on a male driver, no claims or driving citations, North Carolina state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, marriage, multi-car, claim-free, multi-policy, and safe-driver discounts applied.
Auto insurance companies that may offer quotes with these benefits possibly include:
When getting free Raleigh car insurance quotes, it’s a good idea to every insurance company how you can save money. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not be available everywhere. To view companies that offer discounts in North Carolina, follow this link.
Car insurance analysis for a Mazda MX-5 Miata
The coverage table shown below highlights different policy rates for Mazda MX-5 Miata models. Having a better understanding of how insurance prices are determined is important for you to make smart choices when choosing a car insurance company.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|MX-5 Miata Sport 2-Dr Convertible||$132||$210||$216||$12||$64||$634||$53|
|MX-5 Miata Touring 2-Dr Convertible||$152||$256||$216||$12||$64||$700||$58|
|MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2-Dr Convertible||$152||$256||$216||$12||$64||$700||$58|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and North Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, homeowner, claim-free, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy. Rate information does not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can affect price quotes significantly.
The illustration below shows how choosing a deductible and can increase or decrease Mazda MX-5 Miata insurance costs for different age groups. The information is based on a single male driver, full physical damage coverage, and no policy discounts are applied.
Should you buy full coverage?
The example below visualizes the comparison of Mazda MX-5 Miata auto insurance costs when comparing full coverage to liability only. The premiums assume no claims or driving violations, $1,000 deductibles, drivers are single, and no discounts are factored in.
Should you pay for full coverage?
There is no set rule that is best for determining when to drop physical damage coverage, but there is a general school of thought. If the yearly cost of comp and collision coverage is 10% or more of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then it’s probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
For example, let’s pretend your Mazda MX-5 Miata claim settlement value is $9,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most your company will settle for is $8,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If you are paying more than $800 a year to have full coverage, then it may be the right time to buy liability only.
There are some circumstances where removing full coverage is not financially feasible. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you are required to maintain full coverage to satisfy the loan requirements. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should keep full coverage on your policy.
When to get advice from an insurance agent
Some people would rather buy from a licensed agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases Most agents can make sure you are properly covered and help submit paperwork. One of the best bonuses of comparing rates online is the fact that you can find the lowest rates and still have an agent to talk to.
Upon completion of this form (opens in new window), your information gets sent to participating agents in Raleigh who will gladly provide quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You won’t even need to even leave your home because prices are sent immediately to your email address. If you want to get a rate quote from a specific insurance company, you can always jump over to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Finding the right insurer needs to be determined by more than just the bottom line cost. Some important questions to ask are:
- Do they have cheaper tiers of coverage?
- Does the company allow you to choose your own collision repair facility?
- Do you qualify for any additional discounts?
- Which family members are covered?
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- Will they take your side in the event of a claim?
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
Is an exclusive or independent auto insurance agent right for you?
If you are searching for a local insurance agency, there are a couple of different types of agencies that you can choose from. Raleigh agents are either exclusive or independent. Both types of agents can properly insure your vehicles, but it is important to understand the differences since it can affect your selection of an agent.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Exclusive agents can usually just insure with one company such as American Family, State Farm, and Allstate. Exclusive agents are unable to provide other company’s prices so keep that in mind. Exclusive agencies are highly trained on what they offer which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Consumers often purchase coverage from exclusives partially due to the brand name rather than low price.
Listed below are exclusive agents in Raleigh who may provide you with price quotes.
- Suzanne Wilson – State Farm Insurance Agent
8961 Harvest Oaks Dr #205 – Raleigh, NC 27615 – (919) 870-1413 – View Map
- State Farm: Lisa Davis
8201 Rowlock Way Suite 112 – Raleigh, NC 27613 – (919) 782-3333 – View Map
- Alex Burt – State Farm Insurance Agent
3021 Berks Way #102 – Raleigh, NC 27614 – (919) 435-1417 – View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be independent are not employed by one company so they can write business with multiple insurance companies depending on which coverage is best. If your agent finds better pricing, your agent can switch companies and the insured can keep the same agent.
If you need cheaper insurance rates, you should always include multiple independent agents so that you can do a thorough price comparison. Many independent agencies also insure through mutual insurance companies that may provide cheaper insurance rates.
The following is a list of independent insurance agents in Raleigh who can help you get price quotes.
- Snipes Insurance Services Inc
617 Oberlin Rd – Raleigh, NC 27605 – (919) 571-4335 – View Map
- Marcus L Davis Agency
3901 Barrett Dr Suite 312 – Raleigh, NC 27609 – (919) 772-7698 – View Map
- Superior Insurance of Raleigh
2431 Spring Forest Rd #123 – Raleigh, NC 27615 – (919) 261-6164 – View Map
If you receive answers to your satisfaction to any questions you may have and an acceptable price quote, it’s possible that you found a car insurance agent that is reputable and can properly service your insurance policy. Just understand that it’s your coverage and you can terminate your policy for any reason so never assume that you are obligated to the insurance policy with no way to switch.
Why you need insurance
Even though Raleigh MX-5 Miata insurance rates can get expensive, buying insurance serves an important purpose.
- Most states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to buy specific minimum amounts of liability if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your MX-5 Miata, most banks will make it mandatory that you have full coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you do not keep the policy in force, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Mazda at a much higher rate and require you to pay much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance safeguards your car and your assets. It also can pay for all forms of medical expenses incurred in an accident. Liability coverage also covers legal expenses if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of buying insurance definitely exceed the cost, especially when you need to use it. On average, a vehicle owner in Raleigh is wasting up to $830 a year so it’s important to compare rates at least once a year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
What insurance coverages do you need?
Learning about specific coverages of your policy can be of help when determining the right coverages and proper limits and deductibles. The terms used in a policy can be impossible to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Comprehensive insurance – Comprehensive insurance covers damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You need to pay your deductible first then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage pays for claims such as falling objects, vandalism, damage from flooding and rock chips in glass. The most a insurance company will pay at claim time is the ACV or actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP) – Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP kick in for bills like pain medications, rehabilitation expenses, hospital visits and chiropractic care. They can be used in conjunction with a health insurance plan or if you lack health insurance entirely. They cover both the driver and occupants in addition to being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal Injury Protection is not available in all states and may carry a deductible
Collision coverage – This covers damage to your MX-5 Miata resulting from a collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You first must pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision can pay for claims like backing into a parked car, rolling your car, sustaining damage from a pot hole, colliding with another moving vehicle and crashing into a ditch. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. It’s also possible to increase the deductible on your MX-5 Miata to save money on collision insurance.
Auto liability insurance – This coverage will cover injuries or damage you cause to people or other property in an accident. Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You might see values of 30/60/25 that means you have $30,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a limit of $60,000 in injury protection per accident, and property damage coverage for $25,000.
Liability insurance covers things like medical services, attorney fees and medical expenses. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is your choice, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase higher limits if possible. North Carolina requires minimum liability limits of 30/60/25 but drivers should carry better liability coverage.
The chart below demonstrates why minimum state limits may not provide adequate coverage.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) – This provides protection when other motorists either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. This coverage pays for medical payments for you and your occupants as well as damage to your Mazda MX-5 Miata.
Since many North Carolina drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (30/60/25), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. So UM/UIM coverage should not be overlooked.
Raleigh auto insurance company ratings
Buying coverage from a high-quality car insurance company can be challenging considering how many different companies sell coverage in North Carolina. The company information below could help you decide which car insurance providers you want to consider when looking for cheaper rates.
|Company||Value||Customer Service||Claims||Customer Satisfaction||A.M Best Rating||Overall Score|
|Compare Rates Now Go|
Data Source: Insure.com Best Car Insurance Companies
Don’t give up on affordable rates
As you quote Raleigh car insurance, make sure you don’t reduce needed coverages to save money. There have been many cases where an accident victim reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret that it was a big error on their part. The ultimate goal is to purchase plenty of coverage at the best possible price, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
We just showed you a lot of techniques to find cheaper Mazda MX-5 Miata insurance in Raleigh. It’s most important to understand that the more companies you get prices for, the higher the chance of saving money. Drivers may even discover the most savings is with the least-expected company.
Insureds leave their current company for any number of reasons including policy cancellation, poor customer service, delays in responding to claim requests or delays in paying claims. It doesn’t matter what your reason, finding a new auto insurance company can be pretty painless.
Steps to finding low-cost Mazda MX-5 Miata insurance in Raleigh
If you want to find the absolute lowest rates, then the best way to find discount Mazda MX-5 Miata insurance in Raleigh is to compare prices regularly from insurers who sell insurance in North Carolina.
- First, take a little time to learn about how companies set rates and the changes you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many risk factors that result in higher prices like speeding tickets, careless driving and a bad credit rating can be eliminated by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
- Second, request price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from one company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agents can quote rates for a wide range of companies.
- Third, compare the price quotes to your existing rates to see if cheaper MX-5 Miata coverage is available in Raleigh. If you can save some money and change companies, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
A tip to remember is that you’ll want to compare identical coverage information on each quote request and and to get prices from as many different companies as possible. This helps ensure a level playing field and plenty of rates choose from.
More tips and info about auto insurance is located at these sites:
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for a Toyota Corolla in Raleigh? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Raleigh Car Insurance for a Dodge Journey? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest in Raleigh, North Carolina? (FAQ)
- Rollover Crash FAQ (iihs.org)
- Help Your Teen Be a Better Driver (State Farm)
- Winter Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Safe Vehicles for Teens (iihs.org)