Shockingly, most car insurance buyers in North Carolina have bought car insurance from the same company for at least four years, and practically 40% of car insurance customers have never compared rate quotes at all. U.S. drivers can cut their rates by almost $850 a year by just shopping around, but they mistakenly think it’s difficult to compare rate quotes online.
It takes a little time, but the best way to quote cheaper auto insurance rates in Raleigh is to compare prices once a year from different companies who provide auto insurance in North Carolina. You can compare rates by following these guidelines.
- First, gain an understanding of how car insurance works and the modifications you can make to keep rates low. Many things that result in higher prices such as at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and a not-so-good credit score can be amended by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
- Second, quote rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can provide rates from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agents can quote rates from multiple sources.
- Third, compare the new quotes to your current policy and determine if cheaper Stratus coverage is available in Raleigh. If you find better rates and buy the policy, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Fourth, notify your agent or company of your intent to cancel your current auto insurance policy and submit a completed application and payment for the new policy. As soon as you receive it, place your new certificate of insurance in an easily accessible location.
The most important part of shopping around is to use the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on every quote request and and to get prices from as many companies as you can. Doing this enables the most accurate price comparison and a complete selection of prices.
The most recommended method to compare insurance rates in your area is to realize car insurance companies pay for the opportunity to provide you with a free rate quote. To start a quote, the only thing you need to do is provide details like driver details, your credit rating estimate, if a SR-22 is needed, and the year, make and model of vehicles. That rating information is submitted instantly to many different companies and you will receive price estimates within a short period of time.
If you would like to compare rates now, click here and enter your coverage details.
The providers in the list below are ready to provide price quotes in North Carolina. If you want to find cheaper car insurance in Raleigh, we suggest you visit as many as you can to get the best price comparison.
Auto insurance is not optional but you don’t have to overpay
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Dodge Stratus in Raleigh, paying for auto insurance may be required for several reasons.
- Almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means the state requires specific limits of liability insurance coverage in order to get the vehicle licensed. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Dodge, more than likely the lender will make it a condition of the loan that you have physical damage coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the lender will be forced to insure your Dodge at a much higher premium rate and force you to pay for it.
- Auto insurance protects both your assets and your Dodge. It will also provide coverage for hospital and medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability coverage will also pay attorney fees if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If you have damage to your Dodge as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of insuring your car definitely exceed the price paid, especially with large liability claims. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver is overpaying more than $800 each year so compare rate quotes at least once a year to save money.
Smart Consumers Can Reduce Their Insurance Prices
Multiple criteria are taken into consideration when you get your auto insurance bill. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving record, but other criteria are less apparent like where you live or how financially stable you are. Part of the car insurance buying process is learning the rating factors that aid in calculating the level of your policy premiums. If you have a feel for what determines base rates, this allows you to make educated decisions that could help you find cheaper rates.
You may save more by bundling policies – Most major companies give discounts to policyholders who have multiple policies with them in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even if you already get this discount, you may still want to get quotes from other companies to verify if the discount is saving money.There is a good possibility that you can save even more even if you insure with multiple companies
Poor credit rating equals high premiums – A driver’s credit score is a big factor in determining premium rates. People with high credit scores tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than drivers with lower credit scores. If your credit history is not that good, you could save money insuring your Dodge Stratus by taking the time to improve your credit score.
Driving citations will cost you – Having just one speeding ticket or other violation could increase your next policy renewal to the point where it’s not affordable. Careful drivers get better prices as compared to careless drivers. Drivers who have received careless violations such as DUI or willful reckless driving may need to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state motor vehicle department in order to legally drive a vehicle.
Save money by raising physical damage deductibles – Insurance for physical damage, also called ‘full coverage’, helps pay for damage to your vehicle. Some instances where coverage would apply could be collision with another vehicle, damage from fire, and windstorm damage. Your deductibles define the amount you are required to spend if a covered claim is submitted. The more of the claim the insured has to pay upfront, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
Never let your coverage expire – Letting your insurance expire will be a fast way to pay more for car insurance. Not only will you pay more, the inability to provide proof of insurance can result in a fine, jail time, or a revoked license. You may need to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the North Carolina motor vehicle department.
Incidental coverages you don’t need – Insurance policies have a lot of extra add-on coverages that you can buy but may not be useful. Coverages like coverage for rental cars, towing coverage, and Farm Bureau memberships could be just wasting money. These may sound like a good investment when talking to your agent, but if you don’t need them think about removing them and cutting costs.
Where you reside is a factor – Being located in small towns and rural areas can save you money when shopping for auto insurance. Lower population means a lower chance of having an accident as well as less vandalism and auto theft. City drivers regularly have more aggressive driving styles and more severe claims. More time on the road can result in more accidents.
How much liability – Liability coverage kicks in if ever you are found to be at fault for an accident. Your policy’s liability insurance provides legal defense coverage to defend your case. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap when compared with rates for comp and collision, so drivers should buy more than the minimum limits required by law.
Affordable Raleigh auto insurance rates with discounts
Some companies do not advertise every discount very well, so we took the time to find both the well known and the harder-to-find discounts that you may qualify for.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Factory options such as air bags or motorized seat belts may qualify for discounts of 20% or more.
- Professional Organizations – Being in certain professional organizations is a good way to get lower rates when getting a Raleigh auto insurance quote.
- Theft Deterrent System – Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are less likely to be stolen and earn discounts up to 10% off your Raleigh auto insurance quote.
- Early Signing – Select auto insurance companies give a discount for switching companies before your current Stratus insurance policy expires. It can save you around 10%.
- College Student – Older children who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Raleigh and don’t have a car can receive lower rates.
Don’t be shocked that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Just because it seems like you could get a free auto insurance policy, nobody gets a free ride.
The best auto insurance companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are outlined below.
- Progressive may offer discounts for good student, multi-policy, homeowner, continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, online quote discount, and online signing.
- MetLife may include discounts for defensive driver, multi-policy, good student, good driver, and claim-free.
- Mercury Insurance has savings for good driver, multi-car, good student, location of vehicle, annual mileage, accident-free, and type of vehicle.
- Nationwide offers discounts including easy pay, family plan, defensive driving, anti-theft, business or organization, and accident-free.
- GEICO discounts include military active duty, seat belt use, air bags, anti-lock brakes, five-year accident-free, defensive driver, and driver training.
- AAA may have discounts that include anti-theft, pay-in-full, education and occupation, AAA membership discount, good driver, and good student.
When comparing rates, check with every prospective company how many discounts you can get. Some discounts listed above might not be available to policyholders in Raleigh.
Will just any policy work for me?
Always keep in mind that when comparing insurance from an agent or online for your personal vehicles, there really is no “best” method to buy coverage. Your situation is unique and your car insurance should unique, too.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight if you will benefit from professional help.
- What does medical payments cover?
- How long can I keep a teen driver on my policy?
- Is my custom paint covered by insurance?
- Does my car insurance cover rental cars?
- Is business equipment covered while in my vehicle?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount?
- I have a DUI can I still get coverage?
- Is my nanny covered when transporting my kids?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you know they apply to you then you might want to talk to an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area. It only takes a few minutes and can provide invaluable advice.
You may want advice from an insurance agency
A lot of people just want to get advice from a local agent and that is a smart decision Insurance agents can point out coverage gaps and help in the event of a claim. A nice benefit of comparing rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get the lowest rates and also buy local. Buying from and supporting local insurance agents is important especially in Raleigh.
Once you complete this short form, the quote information is transmitted to agents in your area that can give you free Raleigh auto insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to find an agent on your own because prices are sent directly to you. In the event you want to get a price quote for a specific company, you can always visit that company’s website and complete a quote there.
Insurance agent types
If you are wanting to purchase auto insurance from a reliable insurance agency, it helps to know the two different agency structures that you can choose from. Auto insurance agencies can be categorized as either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer. Either one can write policy coverage, but it’s good to learn the subtle differences because it can impact your selection of an agent.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents in the independent channel often have affiliation with several companies so they can quote policies with a variety of different insurance companies and find the cheapest auto insurance rates. If you want to switch companies, they simply move the coverage in-house which is easy for the insured. When comparing rate quotes, you will definitely want to contact a couple of independent agencies in order to compare the most rates.
Featured below is a small list of independent agencies in Raleigh that may be able to give you free price quotes.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agencies
Exclusive agencies write business for a single company and some examples include Farmers Insurance and State Farm. Exclusive agents are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. They are well trained on their company’s products which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
The following are Raleigh exclusive insurance agencies that can give you price quote information.
Picking an auto insurance agent requires you to look at more than just a cheap price quote. Any agent in Raleigh should have no problem answering these questions:
- Do they have a Better Business Bureau rating in Raleigh?
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
- Are they giving you every discount you deserve?
- What company holds the largest book of business for them?
- When do they do policy reviews?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
Quote. Compare. Save.
As you prepare to switch companies, it’s a bad idea to buy poor coverage just to save money. There have been many situations where drivers have reduced full coverage only to discover later they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your objective should be to purchase plenty of coverage at a price you can afford and still be able to protect your assets.
A few companies may not provide internet price quotes and many times these smaller providers only sell coverage through independent agencies. Cheap Dodge Stratus insurance in Raleigh is attainable both online and with local Raleigh insurance agents, so you should compare both to get a complete price analysis.
Much more information about car insurance in North Carolina is located at these links:
- Senior Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest Raleigh Auto Insurance Quotes for 16 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Raleigh Car Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Camry? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Raleigh Auto Insurance for High School Students? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Drivers Over Age 50 in Raleigh? (FAQ)
- Honda warning system reduces insurance claims (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Neck Injury FAQ (iihs.org)
- Bodily Injury Coverage (Liberty Mutual)